What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comparative weights

havent

Friends,

I'm currently building an RV-7. Recently on the internet I found a site which lists the comparative weights of numerous homebuilt experimental aircraft. Seems like they listed either an RV-6 or an RV-7 with the other aircraft. It gave weight breakdowns of various components and then totals of the airframe, powerplant, interior and instruments. But, I didn't make a note of the site. Could anyone help me relocate this site?

Thanks,

Hank Avent
Charleston, SC

I hope so,. That was a great piece of info for anyone wanting to plan their RV configuration.

Roberta

Dan Checkoway W&B weight database

Does anybody know where Dan Checkoway's weight and balance website went to? I know the rvproject website went away but does his weight and balance spreadsheet still exist somewhere?

Gone but not Forgotten

Dan's site is no more and apparently it is unlikely to be resurrected!

A great resource has been lost.

Can any of you SoCal RVers persuade him to change his mind?

He's a Kentuckian now..... and a Cincinnati River Rat 'formator'. I'll ask him about this when I see him.

Scott Hersha
RV-8FB

If somebody wants to take the data and host their own version of my old W&B site, I think I'd be up for that at this point...with these caveats:

1. I'm not to be held responsible for how this gets used going forward...nor am I going to support it going forward (i.e. don't email me when stuff breaks).
  2. I'm NOT up for giving away the code, but I'll gladly make the database available...AS-IS.
  3. I don't have time to hand-hold whoever takes this on. It's not rocket science, but whoever takes it on needs to be able to deal with it themselves.

I'd be happy to put it up -- i have webspace and bandwidth to spare, and can probably setup a decent front in pretty quickly.

Data Remains Accessible

For people that can't wait for the resurrection of the Weight and Balance tables, you can check out the following archive site URL:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070731002901/www.rvproject.com/wab/

All the W&B data is viewable, although internal links will not work. I did a cut-and-paste from the tables into an Excel spreadsheet, so that I could manipulate and filter the data. Works great!

BTW, thanks Dan, for having originally collected and posted the information. Although the site is no longer available, it certainly set the standard for quality.

Back