What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comment on my electrical connections

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I installed my Gretz Aero GA1000 Heated Pitot today and tried to follow the best practices I could for strain relief, abrasion and spacing. Any comments on how this turned out?

IMG_1095.JPG

Mine looks sorta like that except I slipped a ziplok over my board and poked the screws through it to mount. Trying to minimize dust on the board. Not real thrilled with all these exposed boards the vendors are providing us with. Don't know what they all have against cheap plastic boxes.

More strain relief

I would use a couple of Adel clamps next to the board to hold the wires. It looks like you have quite a bit of the weight of the wire dangling from the connectors, and with some vibration you might have a problem. Those type of connectors seem probematic enough with the potential for wire breakage without giving them anything more to work with.

My $.02 - you get what you pay for.

Mine looks sorta like that except I slipped a ziplok over my board and poked the screws through it to mount. Trying to minimize dust on the board. Not real thrilled with all these exposed boards the vendors are providing us with. Don't know what they all have against cheap plastic boxes.

I agree and decided to do something about it. I found a tin container to use as a cover, described in my KitLog here, and then mounted it to a wing rib, described here and here. Note that the grommet in the cover also provides support for the wiring; the service loop will also be supported.

Back