What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comm range?

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
during my taxi test yesterday, I checked my radio(Icom 200) function. It worked "load and clear" as I left. Midway down the RY it was still sending/receiving well. 3000' away at the far end I turned around and no response from my helper on a handheld(Icom A-6). As I came back I tried again and she heard me again. No static, no crackle, very clear...when it works. I was in a low spot at the far end out of line of sight. Months ago I transmitted from inside my garage to a friend flying over ~10 miles out, so I think everything was working good, just has bad range now.

My bent whip antenna is mounted to the floor under the pilot left knee and I've been in and around this area working quite a bit lately...maybe I've damaged it or just assembled it poorly.

Could a bad connector do this? Any thoughts?

BTW--I borrowed a factory made cable to try a test tomorrow.

Are you sure the problem was not in the hand held. It has much less power. Your aircraft radio should be good for 50 miles.

I had a bad connector on my Comm 2 radio and couldn't hear the on-field ASOS. Swapped with Comm 1 antenna and worked fine. I cut off coax connector and crimped on another and the problem was fixed.

It could be nothing more than topography. As you've said you were in a low spot, and my old local field had a note in the enroute supplement about aircraft not being able to communicate at either end of the runway.

'Smatter of fact, we had the same problem with our C130's using (I think) Comm1, as it used a belly mounted antenna, whereas Comm2 used one on top of the fuselage...

update: wiring is good. I'm not making any changes until after first flight. I think it may be a combination of topo, weak handheld and I was facing away with the flaps down. fingers crossed.

during my taxi test yesterday, I checked my radio(Icom 200) function.

My bent whip antenna is mounted to the floor under the pilot left knee and I've been in and around this area working quite a bit lately...maybe I've damaged it or just assembled it poorly.

Could a bad connector do this? Any thoughts?

BTW--I borrowed a factory made cable to try a test tomorrow.

update: wiring is good. I'm not making any changes until after first flight. I think it may be a combination of topo, weak handheld and I was facing away with the flaps down. fingers crossed.

Check it in the air. Handhelds and ground ops are not typically GREAT.

I have a bent whips in about the same location as you. Forward of the spar near the side panel on both sides. (two radios)

Saturday I was 114 NM SSE from KMAE at 9,500 and was talking to Bob "Nasty" Mills who was 21 NM East or North East of KMAE somewhere on his way down from 14,000. Both of us were able to hear and transmit well to each other. I was using my GX-60 and do not know what Bob has. Several years ago, have been able to communicate air to air with Rosie at over 100 NM and both of us have bent whips on the belly.

The Icom 200 in my hangar on the hanger antenna has had good transmit and receive to aircraft in the pattern at an airport at 42 NM. I lose them when they turn final. (too low for good communication)

Back