What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comm antenna recommendation?

Bent whip antennas

Bob,

For the belly you probably want a bent whip antenna such as the Comant CI-122 or RA Miller (RAMI) AV-17. The Comant is a little more expensive ($178 vs $142 at Aircraft Spruce), but I like it due to the robustness of the stainless steel whip vs. fiberglass whip on the RAMI, especially on the belly where it may be more prone to abuse, but the RAMI should provide operational performance equal to the Comant.

My 2 cents...

P.S. Van's has the RAMI AV-17 in their online catalog at $124.

Last edited:
Comant Great!

I have a Comant under my belly on my 7A and I am amazed at how far I can transmit and receive. By the way it is connected to a SL-40 which I like alot too!

Time to order one. It'll be mounted on the belly. It's a "blue-collar" airplane project. Who's got a recommendation?

Since you mention "blue-collar" project, you might want to check with Wentworth or similar; I got both my comm antennas for significantly less than brand new (like $50 or so each); they are Comant CI-119 VHF comm antennas like what our flying club has on our Arrows.

I was going to suggest Wentworth as well Bob (you guys in the TC are lucky to have a toy store like that to browse....). I have had good luck with the RAMI AV-17. If you really want to save money and can do a PERFECT cable termination job, you could go with a simple wire whip - but I wouldn't recommend it (my "attempt" at saving money is now mounted to my hangar roof....).

Paul

I'm not familiar with Wentworth. What or where is it?

But my old BBQ partner in crime, Darwin Barrie, has agreed to sell me a CI-122 that he's decided not to use. I think this is the first time in the near-10-year project that I've actually saved money when buying something. :D

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Wentworth. What or where is it?

But my old BBQ partner in crime, Darwin Barrie, has agreed to sell me a CI-122 that he's decided not to use. I think this is the first time in the near-10-year project that I've actually saved money when buying something. :D

Mark posted the link. I'm sure you've walked by their booth a thousand times at Airventure. I forget which building they're in, but they always have a booth in the corner of the building. They sell used parts from aircraft that have been parted out after insurance settlements.

I never heard of Wentworth until I had moved away from the Twin Cities. Then I'd see their add in Trade-a-Plane and picture this big salvage yard on the edge of KMSP. When I finally visited, I was surprised - it's in an old brick building in the middle of a South Minneapolis neighborhood! Shelves and shelves of stuff though....and aircraft carcasses in the yard out back....definitely worth a visit if you're shopping for instruments, etc!

Paul

... they are Comant CI-119 VHF comm antennas like what our flying club has on our Arrows.
We put on the CI 138 which is the Beach version. Different hole locations.
Picked it up on ebay for about $50. Nice and slippery...
CI_119CI_138CI_139.jpg

Loran C ?

I recently purchased what was supposed to be two Rami AV-529 VHF comm antennas. Only one was a Rami, and the other was a II Morrow Model A-16 Loran C antenna. It looks the same, and is the same length. I read that Loran C is 90 to 110KHz, versus 118 to 137Mhz for VHF communications. So can I use this for a VHF Comm antenna?

RV-10 Soon

SL30 is a great radio!

I have a Comant under the belly of my 9A and I am amazed at how far my SL30 can transmit and receive. It's a great radio! I love the standby frequency that comes thru when the primary is silent.

The 6A we're building will not have VOR so the SL40 is our choice.

Back