What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Combined hobbies, flying, camping, racing

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Combined hobbies, flying, camping, triathlon

My wife and I had a great trip to Lake Placid, NY. Goal was to volunteer at the Ironman event on Sunday and register to race for next year. Mission accomplished. I was able to snap a few photos. What a great way to combine our hobbies into a weekend trip. The RV made it possible, and turned a 14 hour drive into a 4 hour flight.

A big thanks to the Phil and the Lake Placid Airport. We camped at the end of the runway.

Loaded up and ready for flight.

IMG_2492.JPG

My wife was so excited that she fell asleep on the way to LP.

IMG_0370.JPG

My extra safety screw on my oil door rattled out with about the 30 minutes to go. With no where else to land at this point I slowed down a little and continued into LP. Phil was nice enough to find me a replacement the next day.

IMG_0371.JPG

Our campsite for a few days.. Great location at the end of the runway right next to the woods and a lean-to. Down in the woods is an out house too.

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

View from the campsite..

IMG_0373.JPG

Great looking landscapes.

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

Last edited:
Lake Placid is a great destination any season. I did't know they allow camping by the runway. Thank for sharing Ryan!

Thanks for the trip report Ryan. I'm headed out that way in a couple of weeks to go to Maine with my son.

ryan, i was there earlier in the day. phil thought i was you when i reported in as an rv. phil recognized me and took me me under his wing for the rest of the day. a great guy and early rv builder for low cost. this is a must visit place for your rv list. yes there is even a swimming hole below the camp site!:p i got to meet phils daughters and had lunch at a water front restaurant which hangs over the lake. the town has a great european feel. my approach was from the se which had me negotiating some ominous mountains. maneuvering speed was a good thing. :( ill be back to LP again.
8B5CB415-D0C1-45C0-B401-AEB16C605EB0.jpg

89A316AD-5555-4F87-ADD8-853D8F977340.jpg

our lunch spot.
804856A7-4407-41DF-8E0C-46024950F53E.jpg

A swimming hole? It looks like a perfect spot to visit before going to Tim-n-Fred's :D
Are you coming Turbo on Aug the 2nd?

Back