What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comanche FWF

beckcne

I'm New Here
Hi,

Thinking about building an RV10, i currently own a comanche 250 with a o-540A1D5 an prop HC-A2VK-1 (the one with the AD). The engine an prop have 300hrs and were overhauled back in 2010. I am told the engine and propeller "should" work but I should consider my comanche prop weighs 63lbs which is 6lbs more that the 2blade hartzell offered by Vans.

Do you guys this is an issue? Should I consider using a different prop? I would love to use as much of the comanche FWF as I can.

I'm not sure I understand the economics here. I would think you could sell the 250, with a low time engine, for a lot more than an engine-less airframe. But perhaps there are other issues here. So to answer your questions:
I woudn't worry about 6 lbs on the nose. You can always carry ballast when solo, and if you have passengers in back you can just drop the ballast.
I would be more concerned with the carb. Not sure how much work it would take to modify the stock set up for a carb, but I know others have done it. But, IMHO, one of the weak points of the -10 is the smallish 60 gal of gas. This plane cries out for lean of peak egt operations (where I routinely run less than 10 gal/hr) but you will likely need to convert to fuel injection to have that option. So I would figure that in as an extra cost.

I'm not sure I understand the economics here. I would think you could sell the 250, with a low time engine, for a lot more than an engine-less airframe. But perhaps there are other issues here. So to answer your questions

Unfortunately, Comanches (other than maybe B or C models) are $40k airplanes in today's market unless they have incredible panels. Given that the FWF on an RV-10 is $50k+, and a nice Comanche airframe (no engine) has value as a spare parts donor, the OP's idea may be financially viable. So, let's say he keeps the FWF which has a value of $40k when installed in the RV and sells the Comanche's airframe for $8k and the panel for $5k. He's gotten $53k out of a $40k airplane...

Sad to say, but complex older aircraft are not keeping their value well. There are not enough "young guys" out there to buy the Comanche's, 210's, Mooneys, and Bonanzas which are owned by older guys who no longer need 4 seat X/C aircraft.

Hi,

Thinking about building an RV10, i currently own a comanche 250 with a o-540A1D5 an prop HC-A2VK-1 (the one with the AD). The engine an prop have 300hrs and were overhauled back in 2010. I am told the engine and propeller "should" work but I should consider my comanche prop weighs 63lbs which is 6lbs more that the 2blade hartzell offered by Vans.

Do you guys this is an issue? Should I consider using a different prop? I would love to use as much of the comanche FWF as I can.

The weight shouldn't be a big issue. Just keep your tools and a set of tie-downs in the baggage compartment to help with the CG.

As far as that particular engine goes, how does it compare with the -D4A5 Van's offers? If the induction system is a match, you should be fine, other than (maybe) the mounting ears and the exhaust system.

Unfortunately, Comanches (other than maybe B or C models) are $40k airplanes in today's market unless they have incredible panels. Given that the FWF on an RV-10 is $50k+, and a nice Comanche airframe (no engine) has value as a spare parts donor, the OP's idea may be financially viable. So, let's say he keeps the FWF which has a value of $40k when installed in the RV and sells the Comanche's airframe for $8k and the panel for $5k. He's gotten $53k out of a $40k airplane...

Sad to say, but complex older aircraft are not keeping their value well. There are not enough "young guys" out there to buy the Comanche's, 210's, Mooneys, and Bonanzas which are owned by older guys who no longer need 4 seat X/C aircraft.

You hit the nail on the head. If my comanche was a c model it wou go for over >$60k with a low time engine. Tons of early 250s on the market just sitting there for months less than $40k. Unfortunately it's worth more in parts.

Thanks for the response!! Sounds like the setup may work. I was also told I could convert the the O-540 to io-540 by adding bendix injectors.

The weight shouldn't be a big issue. Just keep your tools and a set of tie-downs in the baggage compartment to help with the CG.

As far as that particular engine goes, how does it compare with the -D4A5 Van's offers? If the induction system is a match, you should be fine, other than (maybe) the mounting ears and the exhaust system.

I have to research this next.

THe Engine

Since the engine could represent 20% of the total project out-of-pocket cost, you may want to consider it in the context of the overall project cost & timing. There's a lot of work before getting to FWF.

While you're building you may want to have a plane to fly. As you complete the airframe you're ideas on engine may change.

Weighed the Hartzell six weeks ago - 53.7#; you may be looking @ 10# to 11# difference.

Warren,

The benefit of doing it this way is you have a plane to fly until you are ready for the engine.

Back