What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

com antenna

Not advisable as comm signals are vertically polarized and anything you put in a wing would be horizontal.
Signal strength would be very poor.

Not advisable as comm signals are vertically polarized and anything you put in a wing would be horizontal.
Signal strength would be very poor.

I might quibble with the words "very poor".
I built an Archer-clone, bent the high current part downward (top to bottom) as much as possible. I have a -10 so there is more vertical room to do this than in other RV's (except maybe the -14?). I'd say the effective range is about 60 - 70% that of my external belly whip. I'd call it "fair". For my flying, for a #2 com, it's good enough.

Another problem with the com ant in the wingtip is directional coverage.

If you have it in your port wingtip, you will get little coverage toward the 3 o'clock position.

And another problem is the VSWR is going to be very high on an low efficiency antenna, on a receive only radio the result of that is weak signal, with a transmitter the result is an overload of the transmitter output transistors whiich may result in failure.

We put one on the RV-10 and had to

take it out of the loop and install a belly mount. The wing-tip install was very poor ---- the VOR antenna was just "OK'.

Back