What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Collins VIR 351 and GLS pin-out needed

blaplante

Well Known Member
I'm looking for the pin-out diagram for the Collins (micro line) VIR-351 NAV box and GLS glideslope box. Also reading around at http://www.bennettavionics.com I find that this unit should inter operate with the KI-202, KI-206, KNI-520, and of course the Collins IND 350 or 351 indicators.

In addition, it also says it will work with any "standard ARINC indicator". Okey Dokey, help me here... would any of the Cessna / ARC indicators work? What are my options other than the King $$$$ and Collins $$$ CDI / glideslope indicators?

I am looking at installing one

I chose that same nav because of it's small size, 14v standard, and mainly, because it will display 'to' or 'from' radials without an indicator. I recently was visiting the very nice guys at Sarasota Avionics at Naples airport, and they were kind enough to print me a pin out. I'm away from home for about a week, but if you have no luck, I could maybe scan that and send it in a week or so.

They confirmed that my Dynon would display the nav information (like an HSI) if that Dynon interface box is used (HS34). There are about 50 connections on my connector! I'm going to just start with power, audio to a switch (to check Morse code), and try that. VOR only, of course, but should be legal for VOR approaches, since the radial is displayed. I believe, but will need to confirm, that a left/right needle on the Dynon can be displayed from the VIR 351 with no resolver, for localizer. Anybody into old school avionics that could answer that for certain?

I had to also buy a broken one to get a connector. Even with that, I have only $150 in a reliable radio so far.

The Collins has an internal VOR/LOC converter, so it will only work with those indicators that do not have a converter or allow bypass of the converter. I don't think the ARC ones will work.

I am planning on using it with the Dynon HS34 also, although Dynon was not very positive about, claiming they had not had good results with older analog radios (they only supported analog connections with the Garmin SL30, and430/530, which is strange since those have serial interfaces!) CHeck out the Dynon support forums to see the exact reply to my query.

I'm pretty sure the left/right output will not operate without a resolver connected. It is the resolver that provides the intended bearing (OBS) that is used to determine deviation.

I'm going to hold off installation of my VIR-351 until late, hoping MGL comes out with a reasonably priced NAV with an SL30-type serial interface...

Internal Converter in VIR-351

True the VIR-351 does have an internal converter. However it seems from what I've seen so far that most NAV radios generally also output the raw composite signal. For example the KNS81 has an internal converter, but still puts the VOR composite out on pin D.

Just because it has an internal convert doesn't mean I have to use it! ... Unless (see my request for the VIR-351 pin-out) Collins chose to not make that signal available.

Pinouts? Manuals?

Ok, who needs them and what do you need? Email me for the pinouts and/or manuals. I can generally help out with these things as my library is quite extensive. Also, any other avionics questions, feel free to email me.

[email protected]

Back