What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cold start problems with Ellison TBI

rv8r

Hi out there!
Does anyone know a cure for this problem:
When I start my RV4 (O320, Ellison TBI, both mags with impulse coupling, Facet electric pump, 3-port Vans Primer system) I have to rev the engine 20 times to get it going. Procedure is 1/2 inch opened throttle, electric fuel pump on, priming while engaging the starter for 3 seconds and waiiiting....
It might be the fault of the Vans priming port-fittings, because they are no primer fittings at all, just AN-fittings with standart open outlets. If I look at the Lyco primer ports I see a tiny hole that will spray the fuel rather than dripping it out as the Vans fitting does. Maybe they do nothing at all for starting the engine?? I'm a little anxious to prime for longer than 5 seconds since I saw what could happen when an engine backfires.
Once the engine runs it is VERY easy to restart, even after 4 hours on the ramp, but the next day it's the same hassle.
Any ideas???
Thanks a lot and cheers from Germany,
Dirk

The Ellison has a small metering tube for idling. Ellison experts might be able to explain better, but it is the plastic tube running out of the back of the Ellison. This tube gets gunked up quite easily from the dye in 100LL. It is easy to pull off and check. That tube needs to be unrestriced, completely. The specific problem I have seen is related to idling when cold, not to cold starts, but I would still check that tube as it may be related to your problem.

ETBI Cold Start

I had an ETBI on my O-360 RV-4 for some time. I also installed the Van's solenoid prime system when I removed the standard carb to fit the ETBI. I never had cold start problems. I used to prime for 4 bananas prior to cranking when cold, and less when not so cold. I did install the primer lines to the top, fuel injection ports in the cylinder heads, not the lower manifold pressure sensing ports. This may have helped. I'm now running the ETBI on my Giles 200 with a Mattituck TMX-390, and it starts and runs fine with the same primer system. Every week or so I squirt carby cleaner down the intake to remove any gum. Hang in there!

Van's primer

Short, but positive experience with Van's primer system.

With electric pump on, and a bit less than two seconds with Van's solenoid primer system plumbed to three bottom ports; my Lyc/carb/0360 started before a complete revolution of the prop.........after sitting idle for many years.

Once the engine is warm, and I don't use the primer, it takes a few more turns to catch. Temps haven't been extremely cold (just low 60's), but it does seem to fire very quick when using the primer ---- every time.

At least it was enough to convince a few other RV builders close to finishing, that the priming system might be worthwhile, afterall... :D

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Back