What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cold Air Induction

robertb328

Friend
If you could have a cold air induction and money was not an impediment, would you opt for it over horizontal induction? I am wondering what difficulties might arise with the rest of the installation. Thanks in advance for any adcvice you might provide.

Yes.

exhaust might not fit, cowl inlet modifications probably, stuff generally in the way down there. ?

and then there is the extra money for the big servo that goes along with it H 300? or 300 on the engine I'd want it on.

that's barrett stuff right?

Most all-cold air inductions that I have seen are horizontal, not vertical. If you are going with a non standard cold air system you will have to self engineer air boxes etc. Depending on the plane you are building you may have to do that anyway.
Good Luck and Happy New Year,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Yes.

See other posts. One issue is that you use different cable mounting brackets and some may need a bell crank to change direction. No problem as others have done this stuff already so you just copy someone else's setup that already works.

There are pics and descriptions of my horizontal air box stuff at

http://lazy8.net/intakesystem.htm

and be sure to look at page 2, and Rod Bower's page for the system he sells.

Then go to

http://lazy8.net/speedmods.htm

and go part way down the page to the ECI cold air system part.

Yes, the cables are different from a vertical servo setup, but they were the same for me as I moved from one horizontal system to the other.

Have fun!

that's barrett stuff right?

Robert, I assume you are talking about cold air for a 360 engine given that you're building an -8. We do not make a cold air induction system for the 360only the 540. I don't have any hard technical data that supports or refutes the value of the cold air systems available for the 360, only an impression.

If you do decide that you want cold air and go with the Superior or ECI system and you are looking at an angle head engine, make sure the pipes will fit.

The 200 HP

horizontal sump in actuality is a cold air sump, sort of. It's cast as one piece yet the intake plenum is below the oil sump. It shares one wall with the oil portion of the sump so the intake charge does not get heated like it does with a vertical induction set up. Haven't tested the inlet air temp at the intake port so I don't have data to share but it stands to reason that it is cooler than the intake runners being an integral part of the oil sump like it is with the 180 HP standard vertical sump.

Allen

Back