What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cold Air - Gear Legs

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
We flew today for the first time in cold air (34 deg. outside) and there was quite a bit of air coming up through the spars.
It appears it is coming up through the openings in the fuselage where the gears attach.
Has anyone found a nice fix to keep the air from coming in?

The heater works great and kept the cabin nice and warm. Once I fix the draft coming through the spar it will be very comfortable.

The heater works great and kept the cabin nice and warm. Once I fix the draft coming through the spar it will be very comfortable.

I think you will find that as the oat gets lower, the heater will not be so toasty. If so, consider the cowl duct damper mod pioneered by John Bender. It's a worker!

Thanks Dave - -

Flew north yesterday about 150 miles. Was in the low 20's to start with, and was even cooler at ALT. My -HEATER DAMPER DOOR- works great. I 'forced' the CHT's up to around 200 - 210 degrees. The warm air is great then. I did not even put my gloves on, although did have them on the seat beside me for emergency. Oil stays warm with the Thermostassis Oil therm. Was on the ground for over an hour at lunch, and it really helps bring it back up to needed oil temps.

John Bender
473.4 hours as of yesterday

Back