What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit interior: paint v. powder coat

kritsher

Well Known Member
Has anyone powdercoated interior cockpit parts?
Any thoughts re: pros and cons?
Is powdercoat heavier/lighter than paint?
Obviously, you'd have to coat the parts prior to assembly but does that mean you'd have to drill out the holes before riveting? Would that make the coating more susceptible to chipping?

powdercoat

Instrument panels, switch and circuit breaker panels, etc are commonly powder coated.

I powder coated the panels and painted the rest. Avoid rattle can paint in the cockpit as it wear and stains pretty easy and does not adhere well. A good two part automotive pant worked well in my plane.

I plan on powder coating my panel at the first cond. insp. I am hoping to have the placarding silk screened or something along those lines.

Avoid rattle can paint in the cockpit as it wear and stains pretty easy and does not adhere well. A good two part automotive pant worked well in my plane.

To be fair, I guess results vary - I have had very good luck with "Rattle Can" in several airplanes - good scuffing and good priming go a long ways to making any paint work better.

Paul

Walmart textured rattle can paint worked great for me. Just get the parts real clean, wipe them down with solvent, and paint them before assembly. The paint covers in one coat, and it still looks great after one year.

When I received my finish kit I took many of those parts, panels, flap handle, several engine compartment pieces, to the powder coater. From them I purchase raddle-can paint which matched the power (the same gray Vans uses on the already powder coated parts) then used it to paint the interior.

Like several of the others stated.........it is the prep-work which makes a paint job work well regardless of the type of paint. ;)

Textured Rustoleum

I used textured Rustoleum and was pleased with the single-coat, fast drying coverage, and the only chipping that I've had was on the roll bar, but the quality control in color uniformity and the spray can itself is pretty bad. I suspect I wouldn't have had the color differences if I had bought a case rather than a can or two at a time.

duplicolor in a rattle can here

Easy to use, durable, best part, easy to touch up down the road.

Randy
8A

Dupli-Color

Brand name for a spray can paint.
This is what it looks like, although this one is Engine Enamel, they make all kinds of paint types and colors:
i-ZjXJXkW-M.jpg

Commonly found at auto parts stores and hardware stores.

Tony

Brand name for a spray can paint.
This is what it looks like, although this one is Engine Enamel, they make all kinds of paint types and colors:

Commonly found at auto parts stores and hardware stores.

Tony

I am using the Medium Gray Regular enamel myself

Back