What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit fuel lines

rrd1_99

I originally installed hard fuel lines to the selector valve per plans (those bends around the gear mounts almost convinced me to get my taildragger sign-off!) but I never liked the install. Lucky for me, they were both accidentally bent where they protrude from the fuselage (freak wind storm collapsed my big shop door and tore up EVERYTHING in the shop EXCEPT the project! Lines were bent in the frantic move to the garage, but I can say my fuselage has already done 60+ mph)

Long story short, I am thinking about using a bulkhead fitting at the fuselage and running flexible hose from there to the outboard cover support and installing an inline fuel filter between that support and the selector valve (one filter per side). Since this is not a pressure application, how do you guys feel about using automotive braided rubber fuel lines from the bulkhead fitting to the filters? Of course, supporting the filter and securing the line to avoid abrasion are things I will have to consider.

Your opinions are anxiously awaited!

Roger
-9A QB airframe (almost) done, ordering finishing kit this week

Personally, I wouldn't install the automotive fuel filters. You sump the tanks right? Everything else gets burned. I see inline fuel filters as a point of failure and a maintenance hassle. I would either use flex teflon hose or stick with the aluminum tubing. I just made two smaller sections of the aluminum lines (that go through the gear leg brackets) and used a union to join them in the middle...I know, I know, more opportunities for leaks, but they are fine after three years.

I had seriously considered splitting those lines into two sections as you have done, and I may still do that. I didn't mention that I was planning to forego the gascolator if I use the inline filter setup. I like the idea of having an easily serviceable filter for each tank, and I sump the tanks on EVERY preflight.

I don't have a gascolator either...but I do have a filter in the AFP fuel pump (I'm running an injected engine).

Long story short, I am thinking about using a bulkhead fitting at the fuselage and running flexible hose from there to the outboard cover support and installing an inline fuel filter between that support and the selector valve (one filter per side). Since this is not a pressure application, how do you guys feel about using automotive braided rubber fuel lines from the bulkhead fitting to the filters?

Very similar to what I did on the RV-6 except I don't have the inline filters (see below). Stainless braided flex hose goes from the aluminum line stubbed to the outside of the fuse from the selector valve, with an AN fitting for the tank bulkhead fitting.

finsh230.jpg

After flying the RV-6 for several years I decided to put filters in the wingroots and eliminate the gascolator. But I wimped out after considering how the standard setup had worked flawlessly for 500 hrs and decided not to "fix" something that wasn't broken.

Thanks Bob and Sam for your input! I haven't been working diligently on the project for a while but am trying to get back on track. It's nice to know there are plenty of folks out there ready to help.

Roger

Fuel Filter

I sloshed my right tank before it was taboo so I installed a clear auto fuel filter to watch for flakes of slosh compound. It works great and is a good preflight check. It keeps from clogging up the gascolator so you can change tanks if you have a problem. I will install one in my left side when I get a chance. Go for it, just a little messy at annual when you have to clean it.

Split Fuel Lines

After days and many botched tries at getting the fuel lines installed in one piece, I installed the lines in two pieces. I installed a bulkhead fitting on the outboard rib and put it all together. No leaks or drips after 2 years. It took me 2 hours to do what I hadn't been able to do in 2 days...

Keith
RV9A

Installing Fuel lines need help

I'm installing the fuel lines now on my 7A. Wings are temporarily installed. How did you guys route and install a solid line all the way from the tank (flop tube) through the fuselage, thru the gear weldmounts, thru two grommets to the value? I can't see how I'll ever route a stiff 3.8 aluminum tube thru all this? I will be using injected ingine with Andair pump.

Are there flexible fuel lines I could use with high pressure system?

Is putting a connector in the line a good idea, maybe after it enters the fuselage?

I've already drilled the fuselage to 1 inch for the rubber grommets, but I suppose I could put a fitting there and break the line into two.

Your ideas and experience are appreciated.

Photos or links to your construction site are especially welcome.

Back