What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit air vents

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I'm not real thrilled with the 12's cockpit air vents. Looking at my hangar-mate's -7A. it looks like you should be able to fit the NACA scoops ducts, and eyeball vents (which are a parts kit) to the -12. Has anybody eles considered that. Having flown an AA-1 Yankee for the last 11 years, I know how hot it gets under the bubble on a sunny August afternoon.
Wayne

Cool cockpit

After having flown my RV-12 for over 30 hours in the mid Australian summer 35c plus, I really can't fault the air vents and the amount of air entering the cockpit. I think any air vent has trouble providing enough air on the ground. It's in the air that counts most. I find the canopy is happy to be up under 2600 rpm with extended waiting to enter the runway.

Tony

The vents provide plenty of ventilation. Take a second look at them. They protrude in the airstream and push air in. The ram air effect is pretty dramatic inside, inflight.

Wayne

The RV-12 was designed to be a simple project. The current design provides adequate ventilation and cooling, even on the ground when the engine is running. I was doubtful that the cockpit under that plastic bubble on a hot day would be very comfortable with just those two small air vents. Boy was I surprised when I flew the red -12 at SUN n" FUN last year on a hot day. Van's got it right.

Art Pennanen

they are all correct...30 plus hours here and I'm more than satisfied with the system...air gushes in.

Back