What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Coax cable lengths?

DaleB

Well Known Member
Does anyone have an avionics kit (or finish kit, whichever is appropriate) not yet installed, or have their plane apart? I would like to know the length (within a foot or so) of the coax cables for the COM and transponder antennas. I will be adding ADS-B antennas to the belly of my -12, it's not here at the moment to get measurements and I'd like to get some cable ordered.

Last edited:
Dale-

I believe the com, transponder & ADS-B cables are now being included in the finishing kit and not as a part of the avionics package ... so you need to reach out to those who have just received a finishing kit.

I ordered ADS-B and ended up with an extra cable because it was also included in my finish kit. So I can measure the length of the ADS-B cable for you when I get to the hangar later today. Sorry can't help you with the other cable lengths because they are already installed.

Happy building,

Dale-

Here is the info on the ADS-B coax cable for the RV-12:

The length of my cable from female BNC connector to female BNC connector measures 14? 7 1/4".

The length from the band that needs to be positioned at the grommet in the instrument panel base to the end of the coax that plugs into the ADS-B module is 12".

The cable numbers are as follows:
M17/128/RG400
Harbor Industries MIL/DTL/ 17 27478

Happy building,

Thanks, John! DO you know off hand roughly how far back from the COM and/or transponder antennas the ADS-B antenna is? I haven't seen one installed, so I'm thinking maybe it's aft of the baggage bulkhead?

I just got a call from the guy who's been flying my -12 all over the place... looks like I'll have it back tomorrow so I can start on my long to-do list. I'm almost hoping for cruddy weather all weekend so I can pull up the floor and start to work without feeling bad for not flying it. :)

Dale-

Yes, you are correct the ADS-B antenna is located aft of the baggage bulkhead. The antenna utilizes a F-00020 doubler plate that is mounted just forward of the F-1208 fuselage frame ?. left of center ? and a little right of the middle of the three lightening holes on the left side of the F-1208 frame.

Here is a photo of the mounting location.
DSC09171.JPG

Happy building,

Back