What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Coating or compound for electrical connections

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I'm pretty sure I remember someone on this forum mentioning a product that could be used on electrical connections to assure a better contact, prevent oxidation and high resistance connections, etc. I had an intermittent high resistance connection develop on one of the CHT sensors (fixed by a simple wiggle), but that got me thinking about a way to prevent such things. Anybody remember the product?

Info

Our inspector suggested Liquid electrical tape. We laughed, found it at a store, used it and many other local builders have borrowed it. Great stuff. Dries like a tough plastic coating, you can peel off.

$7 for a can with brush in lid....lasts for 10 airplanes.

I think you are referring to dielectric grease used on the contacts directly. Permatex has such a product that is commonly available in this country.

This type of grease is use commonly in applications where ther is a chance of water or dirt ingress like submarine cable connectors.

i use corrosion x on all my electrical stuff and have not had any intermittent issues since. :):)

antennas

I'm bout to rivet doublers and mount my antennas on the belly of my -8. Thoughts on a THIN coat of this stuff between the doubler and the aircraft skin prior to riveting them together forever?

Bob,

I wonder if it would interfere with the paint adhesion at the edge. Other than that I don't think there would be a downside, but I don't claim to be an expert.

Rich

Back