What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Co-pilot stick removal

jmjula

Well Known Member
I can't find the thread I am looking for. Does anyone know where to buy a button clip/push button spring for securing the passenger stick, yet allowing it to be easily removed?

I have half of a

key chain holding mine in. It works just like the quick release pins on the McMaster-Carr site. My half key chain only goes thru one side of the socket weldment and the stick, but it has never failed to stay in place. I tied it to the stick with a lanyard so it can't be dropped between the sub floor and the lower skin. Cost - couple bucks.

I have the push pins from McMaster. They make you buy a pack of 5, so I have a couple to give away. PM me if you want one.

UPDATE: All gone!

Last edited:
James, I ordered a spring button from

Mcmaster-Carr and installed it in the rear stick in my new RV-8a. Easy to install, easy to use, works great. I'd recommend the quick release button to remove and install the stick. Good luck! Bill Phillips, N288WP, RV-8a 20 hours into Phase 1

Bruce. I will take one of the pins. Also in Ramona building an RV9a. I will be at the open house tomorrow - hanger Is second from the end next to transient parking with a 1940 j3 cub . Am currently working on canopy for the nine. Jim Potter

singlebuttonstraightleg.gif

Yep, these puppies work great in this application. I ordered the minimum back in the day and gave all the extra's away. Cheap and effective!

If not following the SB from Van's entirely (probably b/c it really seems unnecessary), some 3" velcro wrapped around the joint should be more than adequate. FWIW, my co-pilot stick fits REALLY tightly. Someone would have to be really yanking hard on it to get it to come out.

The SB from Van's is way overkill. Remember the original plan had nothing at all holding this stick in.

The telescoping tubing quick release is way more than adequate. I would love to see the man who can pull the stick out without releasing the pin.

Install the stick, drill one hole, debur, insert release pin, DONE....push the button and pull it out for fast and easy removal. Pin stays trapped in the stick so there is nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Back