What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clubbed rivet dimple damage

T.S.

I drilled out a clubbed rivet and found that it caused the dimple to be deformed on the shop side. The skin side hole would accept a normal sized rivet, but the back side hole is oblong.
The picture may explain better than this newbe; in the corner, the only hole missing a rivet.
Any repair experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
T.S.
7A QB, elevators getting close, QB delivery next week
1171755dt6.jpg

Make a piece using some extra sheet metal the size of the tab, 5/8" x 5/8" should do. Drill a hole in the middle, looks like a 40, dimple the hole. Put that piece on the tab and put a little longer rivet in. That should do it. Someone else might have a different method. Normally I would say put a #4 in but then you have the dimpling issue. Very neat job on the rest! Sometimes it is better to leave a slightly damaged rivet in than try to fix. Just my 2 cents.

Yep, this often happens when you drill out bad skin rivets. Subsequent rivets will tend to lean the same way as a result of the deformation. An oops rivet can usually fill the void...

Rather than going with an OOPS, I will take a slightly longer rivet and squeeze it a tad to fatten it up a bit. This will make it sit quite securely and very stable in the hole. Line the bucking bar up WITH THE RIVET, not the skin and it will drive correctly!

Give it a try!

:) CJ

Thanks

Thanks for the replies!
I tried the pop rivet dimpler method prior to the picture, there may be too many layers for this to help. I will try the "make a dimple washer" method first. Then if that sill gives me problems I can do the oops rivet method. This will be on the list for the TC look at.

Thanks,
T.S.
7A QB elevators close, QB delivery next week

fat rivet

CJ,
Read your reply after I posted.
How much longer of a rivet? Enough to be correct height after fattening?

Thanks,
T.S.

Been there before

Those nasty little tabs are a pain. You can't always get the rivet to shoot right and then when you remove the rivet your in trouble.

I would not go to a larger size (oops) until you have exhausted all other possibilities.

Paul (RV-4/RV-7A finishing kit)

Oh, one other trick we use around here (I am sure it is done elsewhere too) is to get some "O" rings.

Put the "O" ring around the shank of the rivet. Drive it about 1/2 the way. Take the "O" ring off and finish it off!

Slicker 'an SNOT!

;) CJ

Back