What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closing holes on firewall

mototopo

Well Known Member
I decided to complete my project as a -A instead of a TD but I already build the firewall.
Now I have to close the two holes that I drilled for the brake fittings. I'm planning to fabricate a small plate of the same dimension of F-601TD and rivet it to the forward side of the firewall covering the holes (on the other side of the firewall I'll rivet F-6122-1 brake bracket) using a firewall sealant between the plate and the FW.

Is it ok?
Which material is the FW made of? I'd like to find the same kind of SS for the plate.

Thanks

Claudio,

You are thinking the right way.
Use Stainless Steel and they sell it on vans.
Put the sealer between the plates and
build on.

304 grade 26 guage I think.

Here is the vans store description for a 10"x12" patch for the firewall.

SS304-26GAX10X12 - price $5

Dont forget the rivets

Be sure to use fasteners that will stand up to the heat------otherwise you might just as well use an aluminum patch.

Holes can also be filled simply by using a 3/16 bolt and the appropriate size washer.

Be sure to use fasteners that will stand up to the heat------otherwise you might just as well use an aluminum patch.

Mhmmm.. good point! I didn't tought to this aspect of the problem. I was just planning to rivet the SS patch/FW/brake bracket sandwich using standard rivets but yes.. I need some heat resistant fasteners to do the job.... which fasteners?!?!??!

And yes, as Walt suggests, using a couple of bolts and washers looks simpler...

Thank you guys.. I have a couple of options to solve the problem :)

Look at drawing 19 for the RV-7A, lower center, shows the Firewall Penetration Points. Look for position "E". This hole is for the Nose Gear Bolt as shown on Drawing 46A. This bolt passes through the firewall and once installed, a chrome steel snap plug is inserted and sealed with pro-seal. Van includes the steel snap plug with the kit. (note: some builders have been able to insert this bolt from the opposite direction, placing the nut towards the firewall, and not having to drill a hole in the firewall.)

It seems you should be able to use the same idea for the un-used brake line fitting holes, just use a smaller size steel snap plug.

Guys,

This is great stuff. I have the same issue on my -6 , as it appears that my decision to mount the battery on the firewall will necessitate relocation of the brake reservoir - leaving some holes to fill.

If I elect to rivet on a patch, what type of fasteners would be appropriately heat resistant? Isn't the entire firewall constructed with standard AN426AD rivets?

Rob Erdos
Ottawa

Back