What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closing bottom of -7 wings

SonexGuy

Since I don't know when my fuselage kit might arrive (was scheduled for January), I'm looking to spend my time totally finishing my wings, including the fiberglass tips. The bottom skins have not been installed yet, and I'm wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't install them?

I've already installed and wired the roll-servo, installed and wired the heated pitot assembly, and plumbed the pitot/AOA lines. All the wiring and plumbing is fully installed out to the wing roots. I've installed the FlyLED wingtip lights in the fiberglass tips, so all that is left is to run the wires through the wing conduit. I have multiple pull strings in the conduits if anything has to get pulled later.

At the very least I don't see why I shouldn't install the inboard skins. But if I install all the bottom skins, then I can completely finish the wing tips. I'm experienced with fiberglass, so there's no reason to wait until I do other fiberglass work like the cowl.

Skins

Since I don't know when my fuselage kit might arrive (was scheduled for January), I'm looking to spend my time totally finishing my wings, including the fiberglass tips. The bottom skins have not been installed yet, and I'm wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't install them?

I've already installed and wired the roll-servo, installed and wired the heated pitot assembly, and plumbed the pitot/AOA lines. All the wiring and plumbing is fully installed out to the wing roots. I've installed the FlyLED wingtip lights in the fiberglass tips, so all that is left is to run the wires through the wing conduit. I have multiple pull strings in the conduits if anything has to get pulled later.

At the very least I don't see why I shouldn't install the inboard skins. But if I install all the bottom skins, then I can completely finish the wing tips. I'm experienced with fiberglass, so there's no reason to wait until I do other fiberglass work like the cowl.

No reason. Rivet them. You installed the servo, pathways and pull lines. No sweat.
Pulling a wire in the wings is a non issue. 20 years in Telecom.

I basically did what you're describing. I installed conduit, servo, pitot mast and snap bushings for pitot & AOA lines.

In my case I haven't pulled wires or plumbing yet the because I'm planning for that stuff to be a continuous run with no connectors at the wing roots. I then finished my wings including fitting the wingtips prior to my fuselage kit arriving.

I'm not flying yet so there may be a gotcha that I'm just not aware of, but I can't imagine what it would be.

Also, no need for multiple pull strings in the conduit, they will just take up unnecessary space. One string is sufficient. When you get ready to pull a new wire, attach a second string at same time, so you're always pulling a new string along with whatever wires you're pulling. That way you always have one string in the conduit teed up and ready to go. Ezee Peezee

Back