What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

clocking vs. torque

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
I've used the search tool, read all I could find, but still don't know the correct answer. The brake cylinders and fuel pump (and probably lots of other places) need the fittings to be clocked a particular way. Using Loctite thread sealant, when I achieve what seems to be a reasonable torque, the clocking is nowhere near correct. Clocked correctly, the torque is too little and I dare not try for another full turn lest I strip the threads. What's the solution?

Thanks in advance.

Jerre

Unthreading and rethreading repeatedly usually works. Each time you do this you will gain a tiny bit more rotation with the same level of torque. Just be sure you're not trying to overtorque to begin with. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Do as Steve suggests, working the fitting like a tap, 1/4 turn back, then forward, etc... Use some kind of lubricant like EZ turn. However, if you still can not get close for fear of stripping the threads, try another fitting. They are all cut a little different.

Back