What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clever Timing Tool

AN23

Well Known Member
We all know the built in potential errors associated with the old “top hat” timing tool. Friction drag on the needle is especially bad with taildraggers. In my view, a much more accurate way to set the timing is to use the timing marks on the flywheel/starter ring gear that align with either the case split on top or the little divot on the starter. Parallax causes issues with the starter and there’s just been no really good way to line up the marks on the flywheel with the case split especially, if baffling is in the way.

I’ve had the pleasure of beta testing a new tool for Paul Swearengen of 3D Stick and Rudder. Paul has come up with this tool that aligns with the appropriate timing mark, is magnetically attached and projects a laser dot on the case split. For our RVs, you need the tall option to clear the baffling on the nose case. The photo below represents probably one of the toughest test where an electronic ignition system is mounted on top. Additionally, the projector also has a UV light function which is very useful in finding oil leaks (most oils glow under UV light).

I am absolutely not compensated by Paul in any manner. This is just a seriously handy tool.

Attachments

• IMG_5851.jpeg
    IMG_5851.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5852.jpeg
    IMG_5852.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5847.jpeg
    IMG_5847.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 150
You can “extend the hole” on the starter with an old broken drill bit, but my favorite new way is to rubber band my phone to the prop, and using a degree protractor app and a piston stop, you can find TDC and then your desired timing setting to within a tenth of a degree.

Back