What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clecoes not long enough Aileron hinge bracket

cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I am putting together the inboard aileron hinge brackets on the RV9 and where there are 4 pieces of thick stock, my clecoes won't hold (too thick). How do I overcome this problem so that the holes will be aligned for reaming and riveting? :confused:

They make "extended grip" clecoes for this situation ... doesn't help you much right now. Once the holes are drilled riveting shouldn't be a problem - just put rivets in most of the holes before squeezing and they'll be aligned.
About the only thing I can think of is to clamp it really securely and drill carefully...

Thomas
-8 wings

Buy a couple of #30 "draw" clecos, the ones with the wing nut on top. They'll come in handy when you do the forward fuselage. They have about 1" grip range.
Steve

Drill bit & Clamp

Assuming there's not an access issue, one thing you can do is use the non-cutting end of a properly sized drill bit to line the holes up and then use a clamp to hold it all together. Then just simply remove the drill bit and have at it.

I used the standard #30 clecos but inserted from both sides but not in the same hole. I doesn't matter that the clecos don't go all the way through, just that they have enough to hold. Somewhat comparable when you drilled the tail surfaces for the stiffners for the skins, the cleco went through the stiffner, then the skin, then into a board. That aluminium angle on either side of the two brackets is the same as the board.

Thanks all. I will order the extra long clecoes but for today, I used Mark's idea of reversing the #30 drill to align the holes and it seemed to work OK. I got the last of the aileron hinges assembled, riveted, and primed. I still am not quite sure what to do with the aileron stop.

Again, thanks to all who have been so helpful and quick in supplying answers to this newbie.
Cleve

Back