What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleco boots

Ken,

Anywhere you might be worried about scratching/marring the surface of the material. I used them when working with the canopy plexi especially.

and you need some stainless steel muffler wafflers...

I hope he is a good friend that you will enjoy playing a trick on later.
No warning. They never see the best ones coming!

Have fun with your build. No galoshes (sp?) needed for the clecos that I've ever heard of, but I'm always learning new things here. That's the beauty of this forum.

Hmm...Ask him if cleco boots come in pairs? Left and right? You could keep him challenged just making up new stuff!

Or, the joke could be on me and the danged thangs actually exist! If so, the jokes on me and I need some of them real bad real fast just to save face (If that's possible) <grin>

they do, they do exist...

Ken,

Anywhere you might be worried about scratching/marring the surface of the material. I used them when working with the canopy plexi especially.

OK, well send me a pair then! Thanks for the info! Too late to worry about such scuffs on mine. They'll help the paint adhere.

Before you know it, the pranksters will be talking about a no-hole yoke for a pneumatic squeezer! Imagine that... A yoke with no hole!

:D

I hope he is a good friend that you will enjoy playing a trick on later.
No warning. They never see the best ones coming!

Have fun with your build. No galoshes (sp?) needed for the clecos that I've ever heard of, but I'm always learning new things here. That's the beauty of this forum.

Hmm...Ask him if cleco boots come in pairs? Left and right? You could keep him challenged just making up new stuff!

Or, the joke could be on me and the danged thangs actually exist! If so, the jokes on me and I need some of them real bad real fast just to save face (If that's possible) <grin>

$$$ Why???

Other than the fact that someone will pay a lot of $$$ for these, can someone tell me why they cost so much? Looks like one might run up a pretty hefty bill is using these 'boots' throughout the build. Any takers?

Boots are fairly pricey, and if you're going to putty and paint, they're no doubt a waste of money. But...for anything that you're going to polish, they are the feline's nightwear. Absolutely essential--IMHO. No doubt good for the plexi also, as Nate said--if you rivet it.
Hey, this might get some traction. Don't think it'll ever compete with the primer debate however. :D

E. D. Eliot;... said:
I really don't know--but I suspect it is due to the relatively small market for them. No economy of scale.
That, and the fact that they are associated with the word "airplane"--which of course means they're way overpriced.

I have about 25 of the little boots and use them when I need to cleco on a panel that is already painted/finished - such as an instrument panel (1/8" clecos hold perfectly in #8 nutplates, and are much quicker to remove than screws). Keeps from marring the finish.

Paul

Last edited:
Seems like you could cut some little squares out of a bicycle innertube and punch a hole in it for the same effect...

==dave==

Seems like you could cut some little squares out of a bicycle innertube and punch a hole in it for the same effect...

==dave==

Or, just don't bother cleaning up clecos after tank building.;)
FP29102012A000PJ.jpg

thanks for the replies. I got a list of tools from the building class that I took and they were on there. After seeing the price and the amount "need", I figured I would ask.

Ken

Back