What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaveland Lightweight Air Hose Review

NovaBandit

Well Known Member
I finally threw together a quick video review of the Cleaveland lightweight air hose kit I've been using for the past few weeks.

http://www.edandcolleen.com/cleaveland-lightweight-airhose-kit-review/

Long story short... air hoses are one of the MANY things that I never gave a second thought to before building. But once you use a quality piece of equipment that makes building easier, you can never go back! This is definitely one of those situations. The coiled yellow plastic air hoses shan't be used again.

I use it too

Ed, I have used my extensively since day one as well, but up until about a week or so ago I have to admit I wasn't exactly sure why, other than for the smaller connectors that go with it. I was placing an order for several more of the short NPT connectors that are needed in order to use that hose (I now have more tools and need more connectors), and I stumbled upon Mike's how-to video regarding the hose and the connectors.

He makes two important points in the video that further affirmed that this was a smart choice:

1. The smaller hose is about 1-2 pounds lighter at the tool and is easier to maneuver than a standard hose. I think it may even be more flexible and easier to use than the smaller plastic hoses since it is a straight hose, while I believe the plastic ones are mostly coiled. Helps minimize the fatigue factor during long sessions.

2. The quick connectors attached to the hose can simply be pushed onto the other connector attached to the tool by pushing on the base of the connector. You do not have to pull back on the quick disconnect on the end of the hose to attach it.

I think the hose they provide is great, as well as everything else I have ever purchased and used from Cleaveland Tools.

Last edited:
Mini coupler caution

I agree these light weight hoses are nice to have. I've used Avery's version for several years. One caution I'd like to pass along deals with the brass female mini coupler. If you look at the tip of the coupler where the male fitting is inserted, you will see a snap ring. The snap ring, made from wire, fits into a groove in the mini coupler. The snap ring, because of its location on the tip of the coupler, is susceptible to damage. If you drop the hose when a tool is not attached and the mini coupler hits the concrete, eventually the wear and impact will dislodge the snap ring and the mini coupler will eject three or four ball bearings that are needed to keep the male fitting in the coupler. Just like any small parts, the ball bearings will roll to those impossible to find locations under something immovable, never to be found. The snap ring will magically disappear and you will have to order another $7 to $9 mini coupler.
Soooooo, be gentle with these light hose and the female mini coupler when there is no tool attached.

Last edited:
I also use the Cleveland mini hose. I am very happy with them and the quality. Although sometimes I wish they were a little longer.
A way they could be made better is if someone could devise a way to get rid of the air hose and make the tool blue tooth compatible:cool: Yes I know there are battery powered tools but they are big & heavy ciompared to an air tool.

Thanks for the reviews and comments! On the coupler getting beat up, that is true, since it is brass it could be damaged by an impact. We have been using them in our shop for 15+ years and usually wear out the hose first. I do usually drop the coupler so that it hits my foot when I drop the hose on the floor.

We have the kits that Ed mentions:
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACKIT
ackit_lg.jpg

Or we have a 'deluxe airhose kit' so you can leave three hoses connected to a manifold. Leaving one connected to a blow gun, one to a drill, and one to a squeezer is really handy. They use the same mini connectors.
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACdlxKIT
acdlxkit_lg.jpg

Let us know if you ever have other trick products that you would like us to carry!

-

Love mine... never gentle ;)

I have used mine from day one of construction and converted all tools immediately. I use and abuse mine and have never had an issue. One of the great tool buys that you find that just works so much better than other solutions but does not get much notice.

Love mine

I wouldn't do it any other way. I bought mine from Mike (Cleaveland Tool) about 12 years ago. It is the way to go, especially in tight spaces.

I used the yellow "slinky" type hose for the first few months and wondered if there were a better way. I ordered one hose with fittings from Cleaveland, and after a few weeks ordered another one.

I'm very happy with these and like everything else I've bought from Cleaveland, these hoses and fittings are high quality. :)

Last edited:
I ordered, and we used, the Deluxe Air Hose Kit (with the manifold) from Cleaveland when we started the project in 2006. Wally Anderson at SynergyAir sat down with us after we finished his class and went through the Cleaveland and Avery catalogs and made recommendations about what tools we would appreciate having. The lightweight hoses and manifold were one of the best recommendations. Still have them and still use them.

I probably would have went with the deluxe version with the manifold as well, but I had already made a DIY manifold with a regulator right on it... So I could run two different pressures simultaneously.

bundled price more than individual pieces?

Or we have a 'deluxe airhose kit' so you can leave three hoses connected to a manifold. Leaving one connected to a blow gun, one to a drill, and one to a squeezer is really handy. They use the same mini connectors.
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACdlxKIT
acdlxkit_lg.jpg

-[/QUOTE]

Clevtool -
Just an observation/question... On your deluxe airhose kit, the reduced price is $115 but at the bottom of the "what's included" section the price, if purchased separately is $102.30 - so I am better off buying the individual parts, huh? Don't you usually offer a discount for the bundled package? :)

Jim,

You caught me there! Looks like we must have had a price change on a part of the kit which increased the retail and discounted prices. Those tables on the bottom are hand coded and must not have been updated. I will get it fixed tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike

Back