What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaveland 3X Rivet Gun

BravoPapaVA

I'm New Here
Hello all, first post, new member.

I'm a newbie with air tools. I'm starting the practice kits using the Cleaveland empennage get started tool kit, including a Cleaveland 3X rivet gun. I put a few drops of oil in the air inlet per the instructions, and it worked correctly for a few seconds. Now the air just bypasses out the exhaust of the gun. There is no piston action. The rivet set just pushes out against the spring once with each pull of the trigger. Following suggestions from other threads here, I've beat its backside on the workbench and have puts lots more oil in it. No results (other than an oily and dented workbench!)

I haven't resorted to the suggestions of dismantling the rivet gun to remove crud buildup, etc. This rivet gun is brand new, it must be me. I've tried the recommended 90psi and other settings.

It's Saturday, and I can't stand waiting until Monday to call Cleaveland!

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Bob P

Last edited:
I had a new rivet gun do the same thing. had to disassemble and polish all moving parts and it worked just fine from then on. It is probably a burr, a rough finish on the piston or very close tolerance on the parts. If you are not comfortable taking it apart recommend waiting and contact the vender. It should still be under warranty?

Larry

As to the rivet gun--------are you pushing the set against something, or are you just triggering it in free air??

Mike, yes, I'm pushing against the workbench surface. It worked just right for about 3 burps of the trigger. Then I set it down and came back to it and it won't operate correctly. It gives the set one push and that's it. Just air bypassing out the exhaust.

It just seems a brand new gun shouldn't need disassembly and cleaning, but sounds like I may need to do that.

Gun

Welcome Bob
I would call Cleveland. They are awesome about returns. It's frustrating but that way you'll get a gun that won't go south again. Ask if they will send one out immediately, at the same time you send yours back.

A call to Mike at Cleaveland turned into a conference call with the 3X manufacturer, tried a couple things, no joy. Cleaveland is sending a new one, great customer support. I wanted to have the tool box and airfoil kits done before attending the EAA RV workshop coming up. Down time was spent on garage and tool setup and lighting.

Thanks for the helpful responses!

I wanted to have the tool box and airfoil kits done before attending the EAA RV workshop coming up.

You may be glad this delay happened. I had my practice kits before my scheduled workshop, but decided to wait until after the training. Assuming your RV workshop is identical to mine (EAA, RV specific - I attending in Frederick, Md), we built the airfoil kit in the workshop. I was able to leave the workshop with my new gained knowledge and skill (barely :D ) and work on the practice projects with my own tools, in my own shop. Hind sight beign 20/20, I'm very glad I waited to do the practice projects. What the workshop does is give you a, albeit extremely infantile, view on what right looks like. If I would have done the projects before the class, I would have been drilling, deburring, and banging away on metal wondering if anything I was doing was remotely correct. Sure, I read VAF, watched EAA videos, and surfed the net for a whole year before starting, but actually getting hands on WITH experienced oversight to give you feedback on your work is invaluable. Obviously, just my opinion...

Last edited:
I wanted to have the tool box and airfoil kits done before attending the EAA RV workshop coming up.

Hey, I'll be there too (KFDK this weekend). I haven't made a decision on starting a kit yet, but I hope the workshop will answer some questions and give me an idea of whether I can do this within my desired time frame (2-4 years).

Cleaveland Tool sent me a new 3X rivet gun and it works great. Mike at Cleaveland will help with any tool/building questions. They have great follow-up support.

You may be glad this delay happened...... Just my opinion...

Jon,

Your comments were 100% correct. It's best that I did the EAA RV workshop first, I also attended it in FDK. Now I can do the practice kit knowing what right and wrong will look like, maybe even do a couple more.

Bob P

Great to hear things went well, Bob! The FDK crew was great to learn from - hard to believe a year has passed since then. Good luck with your build!

Jon,
It looks like all your work benches and tool stands are on wheels. That must make it easy to rearrange things in the garage. Are those EAA workbenches with a couple inches cut off for the casters?

Bob P

Jon,
It looks like all your work benches and tool stands are on wheels. That must make it easy to rearrange things in the garage. Are those EAA workbenches with a couple inches cut off for the casters?

Bob P

Yup, exactly Bob - cut off the bottoms to account for the casters. I actually think I adjusted the height a bit (from the EAA plans) for what I thought would be a comfortable work height. Just measured - 36.5". The wheels were great mods. I move my tables ALL the time depending on the task at hand and/or to make room in the garage for other work.

Back