What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clearance issue between rudder and tailwheel stud

I have about 1 1/16” inch between the bottom of the rudder and the tail wheel stud. I worry about control issues and rubbing in the event of a hard landing on the tail wheel, or aft CG issues, or both. Does anyone have an idea as to how to remedy this, Or how much clearance between the two is optimal?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5208.jpg
    IMG_5208.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 131
I had the same problem, I cut down the bottom fairing as necessary.

I basically reduced the vertical height on a couple fairings by cutting back the top edges back as noted above.
On one, I angled the cut to raise the back end a bit higher to give more wheel swivel clearance.
On another there was clearance issues at the front edge too, so some reshaping up front was done also.
On one plane that came in already pounded by the tail wheel, I just cut the bottom of the fairing out and re-glassed a flat bottom to it.

I just measured the two RV-7s I have easy access to. One was 1-3/4" and the other was 1-7/8". Neither of them have ever had contact between the rudder and the tailwheel, and both of these planes have had a few "less than optimal" landings.;) Both have the larger rudder with the wedge trailing edge that eventually became standard on the 7's.

Neither of these planes had to have the rudder fairing modified by the tailwheel, but both had to be reshaped at the forward end of the bottom rudder fairing due to interference with the tailwheel spring where it exits the fuselage.

Six RV tailwheel airplanes (2 RV6, 2 RV4, 2RV8), no mods required on any of them, relative to tailwheel/ rudder bottom clearance. Anything close to a normal landing, including a tailwheel first 3-point has not caused any rudder bottom clearance problems.

While doing condition inspections on several RV7's I have not found one that did not have evidence of some contact between the bottom rudder fairing and the tailwheel.

It might be a good idea to ad clearance when building.

Bent spring...

Take the weight off the tailwheel/spring and look at the deflection of the spring -- is it straight or is it bent a bit?

If it's bent, undo the bolts, rotate the spring, reassemble.

I've added this to the CI checklist for my aircraft.

Back