What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero seats, CA1 or Sportsman ?

petersb

Well Known Member
Large price difference between the CA1 and the Sportsman. I understand there are good reasons for this in their construction, however, is it worth the upgrade ?

Peter

I can't speak to either the CA1 or the Sportsman seats. But I do love my Aviators.

This is the one part of the plane that will be in intimate contact with you every second you fly. The more comfortable your seats are, the happier you will be on longer trips. I flew for two years with simple seats cut from foam blocks. No bolstering, no extra padding. After an hour in the air, it felt like I was sitting on a basketball.

With the new seats, I can happily say that a 3 hour flight would not be a problem, comfort-wise. My bladder would become the limiting factor instead. :)

Everyone has to have a budget, but I would say that this is one area where extra spending up front will pay back huge dividends in the long run.

I have the ca-1 seats and I can say they are very comfy. Longest I have sat in them so far is 90 minutes....but again very comfortable and price. Light weight to

This is for a -6 and not a direct comparison to the -7 since the seats are slightly different.

I have had both the CA-1 and the Sportsman seats. I bought the CA-1 seats from CA and had fitment problems with the RV-6 (CA was great about the whole thing BTW). The fitment issue aside, I got to spend lots of time sitting in the CA-1 seat and the "loaner" sportman seats.

If you are a small/narrow guy the CA-1 will proably be just great. However, the CA-1 has smaller boulsters and is a good .75-1" narrower than the sportman and is not a good fit for bigger guys.

The CA-1 can be ordered with 1/2" layer of conforfoam and are very comfortable. The sportman is naturally thicker than the CA-1, but can be made 1/2" thinner if you need more headroom.

One thing I really like about the sportman seats is the square front edge (under your thigh) and extended boulster. The CA-1 has less boulster and a rounded front edge and my leg didn't feel well supported.

I now have a set of CA-1 seat backs with sportman seat bottoms and am very happy with the combination.

If you are a small/narrow guy the CA-1 will proably be just great. However, the CA-1 has smaller boulsters and is a good .75-1" narrower than the sportman and is not a good fit for bigger guys.

Sorry I dont agree with that statement above, as im well over 200LBS and definitely not a small/narrow guy.

I have flown across Australia with these seats spending many hours at a time in them with no problem.

Not trying to start a war with you wingsonwheels, I just felt I needed to give a bigger guys review. :eek:

If possible try and get some time in each seat. CA can adjust anything you need.

Back