What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clarification of Alternator Slip Torque Tension

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I've got the Slip Torque tension guide from Plane Power on how to tension the alternator belt (http://www.plane-power.com/images/ALTERNATOR BELT TENSIONING.pdf). It specifies to use a torque wrench on alternator pulley-retaining nut. I pull the alternator down the adjustment bracket, tighten the adjustment arm and then use the torque wrench, but I'm not 100% sure of what I am supposed to be looking for. It says the slip torque for a new belt is 11-13 Ft Lbs.

So if I have the alternator at the right tension, then when I move the torque wrench, I am assuming the belt should have enough tension it moves the flywheel. But should it continue to move the belt even if I hold the prop in place up to 11-13 ft lbs?

That is correct. It should slip in that range. If it doesn't, the belt is too tight.

Yeah I think you want to hold the engine still during the test, the belt should not slip below the 11-13. At least that's what I have been doing.
Tim

The numbers are from Lycoming SI 1129A Accessory Drive Belt Tension.

With a new belt, the belt must not slip when you apply 11 ft-lb torque. The belt must slip when you apply 13 ft-lb torque. If it passes both those tests you are done. If it fails, adjust the tension and try again.

If you have a used belt, the correct range is 7 - 9 ft-lb.

Back