What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clamps with windshield install?

Space Cadet

Well Known Member
Getting ready to install the windshield tonight, and I've got quite a bit of gap on the lower/bottom corner of the windscreen frame to pull the windshield in. It pulls in easy enough with light pushing, and those 2" plastic clamps everyone uses will hold it in place easily.

Question to the group- anyone have problems with crazing/cracking using a few of those clamps and Weld-on 10? I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures with them, and I don't think tape will do the job, but wanted to make sure I wasn't setting up for failure.

Thanks!
Dwight

Gap between the aluminum or fiberglass???

Since you mention the Weld on, I assume the fiberglass.

I had to use a ratchet strap to pull the windshield into position to make it fit the fiberglass joggle correctly------my big concern was the gluing area is pretty small if it doesnt fit correctly.

I would be cautious of using a clamp that applies pressure to a single point.

A photo would help........

Last edited:
Here is a photo that shows what Mike described.
I could not resist using a couple of clamps when I installed the windows
and that is the only place where I had light crazing.
If there is any common thread for those of us who had crazing problems it was the use of clamps directly applied on the glued part.
I learned what not to do on the first window and the rest came out just fine.

IMG_0271.JPG

I used clamps and ended up replacing the windshield due to crazing (my biggest mistake both in terms of time and money during the build). If the clamps are being used to force the part in place, it will craze the plexiglass. The second time I used some thin aluminum to spread out the load and it eliminated the problem.

Good info

Yes, between the plexi and the fiberglass. Thanks all, that's what I was worried about. Have a hard time seeing how some thin aluminum will spread the load... so I'll try the straps route, that's seems easy enough.

Dwight

Follow up

For the records, and thanks to the help here, I finished and everything came out good (at least from the fit and crazing standpoint- I did get some Weld-on on the inside of the windscreen, darn it).

Here's a shot of my set up, much like the others:
IMG_8907-300x225.jpg

I did use a couple 2" spring clamps on the far side, but had styrofoam and a piece of fiberglass under it to spread the load.

Thanks,
Dwight

good job

Installing the windows is not nearly as hard as it first appears.
It is a big step towards completion of the airplane.
Keep going

Ha!

Ernst- Ha! Easy to say. I went through 5 rear windows getting 2 to work out right. Can't believe I stuck with Weld-on 10 this long.

Dwight

Why not flox??

I am wondering if anyone has used an epoxy/flox mix for setting their transparencies instead of Weldon 10? There seems to be an awful lot of problems with crazing caused by Weldon. On the Cozy and other Rutan designs we just use epoxy/flox with no problems. I am probably going to set my transparencies within the next two weeks so if there is no compelling reason not to use epoxy/flox,,,,I am leaning that way.:confused:

Somewhere I either read or was told that the windows are a structural part of the top in case the plane ends upside down. The weld-on is used to assure maximum strengh of the bond. After removing 1 windshield, I can tell you that the bond is stronger than the plexiglass, unless heated.

Aaron

Thanks Mike. Looks like I'll be using what most use,,,,Weldon 10 and spend some time on bent knees,,,,,,, praying for no crazing!

Back