What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clamps - a recommendation please

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I have noticed that many of the RV-12 builders have used Irwin Bar Clamps during the build. Please recommend whatever works best for you by brand name and size. I will follow your recommendation Thanks in advance.

Clamps, clamps, and more clamps

I have noticed that many of the RV-12 builders have used Irwin Bar Clamps during the build. Please recommend whatever works best for you by brand name and size. I will follow your recommendation Thanks in advance.

Hi Eliot,

I'm definitely a clamp guy. Sometimes I think one can not have enough clamps around the shop. ;) Anyways, the Irwin 'QuickGrips' are great for clamping wide things.

I'm also a big fan of the Vice-Grip '6 SP'. This is a 6" ViceGrip with small hinged pads. This can be found at either Lowes or Home Depot. I forget which one as one carries them but the other doesn't. They also have a big brother, the '11SP'.

And finally, generic spring clamps can be quite useful. Should be around 2 USD/ea and seem to have florescent handles.

Good luck,
/\/elson

The smaller Irwin "quick" bar clamps (with one fixed jaw) are great.

The larger Irwins have both jaws moveable. The "far end" jaw is supposed to tilt against the bar and "lock" in place when you put a load on it, but sometimes this feature does not work very well.

For larger "quick" bar clamps the Stanley "Quick Grip" brand (yellow housing, black trigger and bar" work quite nicely and also "takes up slack" much faster than the Irwins.

Cleco Clamps are great for holding small parts together before you start drilling. Once you drill some holes, regular clecos will work. But cleco clamps have a significant clamping force, so your parts won't slip on you. You put them on and off with regular ol' cleco pliers.

Cleco Clamps are great for holding small parts together before you start drilling. Once you drill some holes, regular clecos will work. But cleco clamps have a significant clamping force, so your parts won't slip on you. You put them on and off with regular ol' cleco pliers.

They also help expand the English language, from all the new curse words that you will make up when you pinch your finger in them.

Back