What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Circuit Breakers that fit in fuse holders

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Does anybody have any experience with circuit breakers that fit in fuse blocks?

See page 12 and 13 of this:

http://www.cooperbussmann.com/pdf/8ac9dccd-5296-4a07-b0a9-22af65388012.pdf

They cost $5-$7 each and they come in three versions: automatic reset, modified reset, and manual reset. The lowest value listed is 7 1/2 amps though.

I have only fuses in my airplane but was considering adding a circuit breaker for the flap motor. I've read that some people have fuses blown or breakers pop possibly due to air loads on the flaps. I'm thinking that one of these automatic reset breakers might do the trick for the flaps.

I've also heard that there can be occasional "nuisance" blows on the alternator circuit. Might one of these be helpful there as well?

For my VFR bird, I would just land look for the reason it blew in the first place and if it made sense, change a fuse but, it might be more convenient to at least have a resettable circuit breaker in the fuse slot for these locations. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
There is a recent discussion about Polyfuses on the AeroElectric list (they are 'auto-resetting' circuit protection devices). Bottom line (from Bob N) is that they aren't designed to provide the type of protection we need.
I'll submit that 1) flap and/or alternator nuisance trips are extremely rare and 2) there is an underlying reason for ANY (properly sized) blown fuse that should be resolved before it is replaced (or reset).
My vote is spend the bucks on a few more tunes for your iPod... :rolleyes:

Kelly,

There are a few circuits where you should be able to drop power in the event of a stuck switch or some other type of malady. The flaps, trim, and alternator excite field are three that come to mind.

If you can't find a good replacement for these fuses, just plug those holes as you will find a future use for them, and put your breaker(s) some place else.

Sounds like you are getting close.

Back