What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Circuit breaker Switch Question

svennijo

I am trying to find out if a Potter & Brumfield W-31 series circuit breaker switch will trip like a regular circuit breaker. So I guess what I am saying is, on a regular circuit breaker the breaker actually "pops" out so you can see, will the switch actually flop down so you can "see" that it tripped or does it disconnect internally and there is no switch movement.

flop

It flops down, so you can easily see it.

BTW - there are known issues with these - see my (and others') posts. I'm a little down on these since they are in my certified plane and they occaisionally burst into flame. Costing me $100+ each to fix :( Just my opinion, feel free to ignore but there is a lot of data out there.

dave

they also...

feel funny, and have a very vague snap action. Prone to failure and fires as some have reported. I use a few in my plane, and find them to be a cause of concern.
I'd recommend another approach.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for the info, I do see that there are some failures so I will have to evaluate the pros and cons. Does anyone else make a circuit breaker switch?

Breaker Switch

I ordered one for my avionics master and the mounting treads were so out of tolerance that nut would not grip for mounting. Made me really think about the quality of the internals. Guess where it was made. Got another which was made in Mexico and I will install that one. Which brings up another point.

I've got 2 batteries, 3 GPS, 2 coms, 2 sets of flights instruments, you know the routine.... yet my local avionics shop recommended an avionics master. All the certified have them. Guess what? A single failure point and a Chinese switch at that.

My solution. I ran a parallel circuit between my main buss and the avionics buss with a circuit breaker. The breaker is under the panel and easy to find and reach. I leave it open (pulled). If my avionics master fails, I push in the breaker and back in business.

Something to think about.

Ken

AD on these

These switches are used in the Beechcarft planes. There are two brands Potter Brumfield is one. I don't remember the other brand. Thing is the AD only applies to the switches with the Beechcraft P/N stamped on them no matter the brand. The problem is that these same switches are through out the industry. They are the same weather they have the Beech P/N or not. The other part of this story is that only one brand is defective. People that are in the know are trying to get the AD changed to cover only the defective switch. I wish I could remember what brand that is right now but I dont. The good brand is very superior to the defective one. I would suggest that you wait till all this blows over and get your switches later when the defective switches are revieled in the revised AD.

Back