What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CI-158C in Vertical Stab Pictures?

boom3

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to mount my CI-158C VOR/Glideslope antenna on top of the vertical stab and am looking for some mounting pictures. Anyone have any to share?

Thanks!

i KNOW

a few folks have fitted them but most seem content with the wingtip antenna these days..I did have cats whiskers but I couln't find a nice way to mount them so went with the archer wingtip instead.

Works well enough for ILS approaches

Frank

Mounting VOR/ILS antenna

Since you are building an RV-7A, you can do exactly what I did as seen on this web page: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a079.htm There are seven photos to give you the idea.

If you had been building a tail dragger, I would have recommended the sweep of the antenna elements be going AFT, not forward for safety reasons. With the -A models the tail is so high, you will never poke out your eye on the antenna. The aerodynamic drag is the same whether the rods are facing forward or aft. The range for VOR purposes will be slightly better with the rods forward since neither of them would be "shaded" by the vertical stabilizer from reception from the sides of the airplane.

Back