What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CI-122's on inspections covers - anybody?

vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
I saw a photo of an -8 recently that had two CI-122's, each mounted directly to the inboard inspection plate covers of each wing. While trying to determine where to put two Comms and get the recommended separation, I had never thought of this, but it seems like a great idea.

Can anyone here comment on that location? If so, how did you do it? Doubler? Thicker "custom" inspection cover? What about grounding? Would you do it again?, etc? etc?

Thanks,
Bart

Ground plane

A com antenna is a 1/4 wave length element (I'm pretty sure). What that means is that the structure to which the antenna is mounted "acts" as a complement to the antenna itself. The antenna installation requires a flat area of at least 18 sq inches (per the KY196A book) and needs to be properly bonded to the aircraft. If you install it on a inspection cover (I don't know how big is the cover you are thinking about) chances are that the area is too small, and second, with time the ground plane will be very poor decreasing your com range.

Any dual antenna -8's?

Ok, anyone out there running two comm anetennas (Bent whip, not Archer) on their -8? Where did you put them, and how has it worked? Do it again? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Any updates on this?

I'm about to mount a second comm antenna and eyeing the inspection cover as a possible location. Does anyone have any reports on how well this works?

If you are going to add the wind loading of a com antenna to an inspection cover, I would add additional screws for strength.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I think that just adds too much wind load.

I would prefer to add a doubler to the skin close enough that you can reach in and connect the BNC rather than mount it directly to the cover plate.

Last edited:
Back