What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT's split side to side

cjensen

Well Known Member
I have a CHT split between the two sides of the engine...Cyl's 2 & 4 are running 60-120 degrees cooler than Cyl's 1 & 3, depending on the power setting. All temps are well within limits, but it's a curious thing to watch. Each cylinder on each side is within 15-20 degrees at all times.

I have the SJ cowl and plenum, and the oil cooler is off cyl 4. That sort of leads me to believe that since I have more exit area on that side, that the temps would be lower than the right side because the exit area on that side is limited to the cylinders and cabin heat air inlet off the rear baffle.

The EMS is an MGL Enigma, and I haven't calibrated the CHT probes...something I intend to do this week with our Alcor calibration tester at work.

I have 15 hours on the engine now, using a quart every 3-4 hours, so the guys at work have told me that it's possible the left side rings are seated, and right are not yet...weird, but could be I suppose.

Any thoughts on this phenomena?

Pull plugs to check on break in...

Take a look ar the lower plugs... if they are wetted with oil the ring is not yet seated; when the plug is dry it is likely broken in.

CHT and EGT

I have a CHT split between the two sides of the engine...Cyl's 2 & 4 are running 60-120 degrees cooler than Cyl's 1 & 3, depending on the power setting. All temps are well within limits, but it's a curious thing to watch. Each cylinder on each side is within 15-20 degrees at all times.

I have the SJ cowl and plenum, and the oil cooler is off cyl 4. That sort of leads me to believe that since I have more exit area on that side, that the temps would be lower than the right side because the exit area on that side is limited to the cylinders and cabin heat air inlet off the rear baffle.

The EMS is an MGL Enigma, and I haven't calibrated the CHT probes...something I intend to do this week with our Alcor calibration tester at work.

I have 15 hours on the engine now, using a quart every 3-4 hours, so the guys at work have told me that it's possible the left side rings are seated, and right are not yet...weird, but could be I suppose.

Any thoughts on this phenomena?

Do the CHTs follow EGTs? If you have a carb. you have little control over fuel distribution. In that case, a side to side delta is not uncommon.

Yeah, that's basically what it's boiling down to at this point. Uneven fuel distribution because of the carb...the EGT's are in line with the CHT temps, but they aren't spread as far apart. The only other thing I'm going to take a look at, maybe tomorrow, is to put the probes on our Alcor calibration tool to see where it's reading on that. I'm not worried about it, but still curious.

Back