What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT Temps confort Zone

Spankey

I'm New Here
Hi All,

My 6A tipically shows about 390 on the CHT during climb out. This is whether the OAT is 90 Degree F or 70 F. I have the small oil heat exchanger that Vans provides in the Firewall Forward kit. Now, Irecall reading sometime ago that the RV6 and 7 builders don't even bother with the small cool and install something larger. Can anyone help me with it? Thanks in advance. Spankey at P19 Az.

You really dont have anything to worry about here - there is nothing at all alarming about a 390 CHT during climbout. I assume you are cooling to 380 or less in cruise?

If its working, dont fix it.

erich

The oil cooler is not going to help here, unless of course your oil temp is really high.

If you want to get your CHTs down you should work on your baffling -- i.e. checking for and sealing up any leaks with high temp RTV, etc.

I know some folks in the summers will tape over their cabin heat flange in the summers. This has two purposes. a) it eliminates hot air from hitting the firewall and b) it allows more air to go down between the cylinders for cooling.

I know some folks in the summers will tape over their cabin heat flange in the summers. This has two purposes. a) it eliminates hot air from hitting the firewall and b) it allows more air to go down between the cylinders for cooling.

I thought I read somewhere that you need to keep air flowing through the exhaust heat muff otherwise the temps inside the muff will rise excessively and possibly cause the muff or the exhaust pipe to fail. I think that's also why the airbox is designed to bypass the airflow out into the cowl area rather than just block the flow from the heat muff.

no problem

I wish I had CHTs at 390 on climb! Do you have all 4 cyl. temps? I have a pretty substantial variation in CHTs and temp. is my limiting factor on climb out. I go fullpower on TO and reduce slightly when temps get to 400. Cruise temps. are always in the mid 3 hundreds. I've just resigned myself to living with the restrictions on climb which are realy no big deal. The variations in CHT I've chalked up to carb fuel distribution inequality. I have a standard oil cooler and my oil temps are if anything too cool (+- 180F) even in the hottest of the summer. I don't think you've got a problem. Let me know if you want to compair baffling. I'm close at CHD.

Airspeed

What is your airspeed on climb out?
In my 6A less than 120 mph at full power CHT'S will rise quickly.
Try lowering the nose and get more air in the cowling.
If you are already doing that check the baffling for leaks.
Put a light behind the baffling and look for gaps.
Good luck.

You really dont have anything to worry about here - there is nothing at all alarming about a 390 CHT during climbout. I assume you are cooling to 380 or less in cruise?

If its working, dont fix it.

erich
To all that have responded. All good advice. and since my last post I took a look at a few photo's that I had taken of the baffling a few months back and sure enough I found a few places which need a dab of Hi temp sealant.
also, in criuse I am seeing temps in the mid 300s so for right now I won't go about tearing into the plane and fixin what isn't borken.
Hank Caple

I wish I had CHTs at 390 on climb! Do you have all 4 cyl. temps? I have a pretty substantial variation in CHTs and temp. is my limiting factor on climb out. I go fullpower on TO and reduce slightly when temps get to 400. Cruise temps. are always in the mid 3 hundreds. I've just resigned myself to living with the restrictions on climb which are realy no big deal. The variations in CHT I've chalked up to carb fuel distribution inequality. I have a standard oil cooler and my oil temps are if anything too cool (+- 180F) even in the hottest of the summer. I don't think you've got a problem. Let me know if you want to compair baffling. I'm close at CHD.

Bill, Thank you for the advice and input. I would like to get together sometime and talk. I will contact you through the net here but here is a contact number 602 692-6750 Hank Caple

You're fin

Hey Hank,

390 is good. The other day when I left for work it was 80 degrees. I was climbing aggressively from Stellar and was 2900 ft by the time I got to Kyrene Rd. I reached 407 on #4 but it immediately went down when I leveled out.

In the summer, it is not unusual to hit 410-425. Not a big deal. My every 50 hour oil inspections are not showing anything unusual with very little wear noted. I've got 520 hours now.

Are you going to Stellar Days on Saturday?

See you there

Back