What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT Decrease with Second SUREFLY ???

planenutz

Well Known Member
Hey Team. A question for the electronic ignition experts if you have time, please:

I completed the installation of a SUREFLY SIM4P during the 100 hour/Annual and flew for the first time today. The IO-360 has been running so sweetly with a SIM4N on the right side so I decided to fit a 4P to the left side and set them up for variable timing. I was hoping to achieve a couple of goals - better starting, improved leaning and the possibility of slightly reduced fuel flows. I wasn't expecting too much in the way of reduced fuel flows as I've been enjoying pretty good consumption up to now but I thought it might be slightly better. Reading what I have on EIS I was expecting a slight increase in CHT's... maybe a few degrees, especially as the engine now has variable timing.

During the two flights I made today the CHT's appeared to be lower than they used to be by about 5 or 6 degrees C - around 40 deg F. I wasn't able to quantify any change in fuel consumption as the weather made that a little difficult but I feel I might be seeing a small reduction. Am I to assume that this perceived reduction in fuel consumption is directly responsible for the reduction in CHT? Is it as simple as less fuel = less heat?

My #4 cylinder is typically the coolest, #3 the hottest and my spread has typically been around 8 to 10 deg C max (46 - 50 degF) since day one. Today #1 was coolest and if it stays that way I'm probably going to have to increase the size of the baffle up front.

Interested to understand more.

During the two flights I made today the CHT's appeared to be lower than they used to be by about 5 or 6 degrees C - around 40 deg F. I wasn't able to quantify any change in fuel consumption as the weather made that a little difficult but I feel I might be seeing a small reduction. Am I to assume that this perceived reduction in fuel consumption is directly responsible for the reduction in CHT? Is it as simple as less fuel = less heat?

Are you leaning further from peak? If so, yes, CHT will decrease.

My #4 cylinder is typically the coolest, #3 the hottest and my spread has typically been around 8 to 10 deg C max (46 - 50 degF) since day one. Today #1 was coolest and if it stays that way I'm probably going to have to increase the size of the baffle up front.

Interested to understand more.

Have you balanced the restrictors? They all peak within 0.2 gph of each other?

Back