What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chrome paint for spinner for polished look

ltiii

I'm New Here
Hi everyone,

Please go easy on me...I'm a just a Piper flyer. :eek:

I am hoping that the creative bunch here at VAF can help me out. I have a MT prop with a composite spinner that is currently painted white. I really would like a polished aluminum spinner, but they are not available for my plane. MT has a "HighGlo" spinner option, but that is big $$$. I have searched the forums here and have found some references to the Spectra Chrome process, but I am not able to find any PIREPS on how it has held up. Does anyone have any experience with this process? How has it held up?

Are there other options to get a chrome/polished aluminum look to a composite spinner?

Thanks!

Welcome to VAF!

hah, beat Mike?

the latest option I can think of is to apply chrome vinyl wrap material to it.
now, even though I do this kind of thing a bit, I can't see how it would be possible without a few seams, but I could be wrong.
the stuff is not indestructible, but I think it would last pretty well on the average aircraft nose.

The spectra-chrome guys seem to come and go, not sure why!?!? perhaps seek out the autosports sector?

These guys even do graphics on top!

http://www.censport.com/censport-no...-in-house-with-our-new-spectra-chrome-system/

Last edited:
You'll have at least 2 seams doing chrome vinyl. It's not as conformable as the regular wrap and that's even a bear to one piece a spinner. The seams aren't bad looking though if you get them placed right.

That's What I Did

I too had an MT 3-blade with the composite spinner painted white, this was back in 2002 when the Spectre Chrome process was not as wide spread as it is now - so my only choice was to have MT "chrome" my spinner at their factory in Germany.

I have been very satisfied with the results from a standpoint of durability; however, the smoothness of finish, i.e. "mirror like", leaves something to be desired. I believe the spinner was not prepped as well as it could have been to eliminate all of the orange peel from the original paint job.

If the surface is smooth enough to give a similar finish after "chroming", without the benefit of a polish out process, I think you will be satisfied with the result.

I looked into getting a Spectre Chrome franchise a few years back, but didn't think the rural area in which I live I could make it pay.

YMMV

David Howe

Back