What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Christen Inverted Oil System in the RV-7?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

Anyone installed the Christen Inverted Oil System in a RV-7?
It'd be really nice so see some pics, get some tips and hear some experiences with installation and/or use.

Regards Alf Olav Frog / Norway

Yes

Good morning Alf,
You can use the "Search" feature on this site to find information and there's a lot of it regarding inverted systems. Many have been installed in RV's of all models.

It makes a tight fit since there is not much extra room between the engine and firewall. The system adds extra weight and complexity as well. You should also have inverted fuel capability if you go with the Christen system since it sounds like you're going to do a lot of inverted flight.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep the airplane light and nimble because you can do most maneuvers without pulling negative G's. Only slow rolls and inverted flight will you have negative G's. Cuban eights, four point rolls, aileron rolls and Immelmans, loops and split esses can all be done without going negative.

Regards,

We looked into this and eventually didn't bother, due to the reason given before and also that our authorities in the UK show no real intention to allow us to aerobat any side by side RV's.

However....................... should we find ourselves in unusual attitudes from time to time, we have fitted an Andair oil seperator and condensation trap. This should catch the big gobs of oil from the breather on a half reverse cuban or similar and safely return it to the crankcase instead of under the belly :D

I put in a similar Raven system that Aerosport supplied with my engine. Not really that difficult to do in the overall scheme of things. I had Precision Hose make all the oil lines and they were fantastic to deal with. It does crowd the firewall a bit and make some maintenence a bit more difficult but for the ability to cruise around inverted it's a small price to pay. I can send you pictures of my installation if you like.

Neil

Neil, I would appreciate pictures of your Raven installation. Thanks in advance. RV-7, working on wings and fuselage. N87EM, reserved.

The Raven Aircraft inverted oil system is a good option to the Christen system. The Raven system is cheaper, gets good reviews, and they have an optional 4" diameter oil separator tank. The smaller 4" diameter tank is a good option for aircraft like RVs that will almost certainly not be doing continuous hard-core aerobatics. It is a bit easier to find room for the smaller tank.

O-g flight/ does the inverted help?

Ok... I have no experience with inverted oil systems. If I like to fly the 0-G arcs and "float the pencil" I dont want to starve the aircraft of oil.. would a inverted oil system help?
Thanks

ao.frog said:
Hi.

Anyone installed the Christen Inverted Oil System in a RV-7?
It'd be really nice so see some pics, get some tips and hear some experiences with installation and/or use.

I toook the liberty to take some pictures for you on the Raven installation. Its the same as the Christen system less the breather Tee.
Go here and click on the engine pictures. There are 2 main components. A valve with a big steel ball in it that uses gravity to decide where to pull oil from, and an oil seperator tank. There are quite a few fittings on the engine. THe kit comes with what you need for fittings and you will have to run your own lines. Here is a layout of the basic system with an excellent explanation of how it works. Googling Christen inverted oil will get you everything you need.
Enjoy,

Last edited:
Thanks!

Hi all.

Thanks for the links and comments.
It helped alot! I'll do some serious thinking and decide in a while wether or not to install the system.

Also; I've learned some new things regarding the "search"-feature here: if the first attempt doesn't work; try to use different wording...

Yes, I know; I scould've know that, but at least NOW I do know... :)

Back