What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chicago Pneumatic Squeezer

Jgrindol

I'm New Here
After years of reading Vans forums I decided to get on with a build so I am acquiring tools and learning the tricks before going any further. I have purchased nearly all my tools, but decided to buy a CP214 on eBay. Upon receipt I was a little taken back that the yoke uses a threaded 1/4 shaft. However the die/set was missing. I have searched everywhere for a simple solution but wanted some experienced input. Does someone sell just the replacement part? Should I just buy a new yoke that accepts the standard dies? Would it be better to leave as is so its adjustable and I won't have to shim?

I sure have enjoyed Reading all the answers on here. Hopefully you will have some suggestions on this one!

Avery Tools overhauls these. When I started my RV-3B, they overhauled my used one and so far it's been just fine.

Dave

Yoke

You'll likely need several yokes, I have four which includes the yoke that came with my squeezer. You'll need to buy a bunch of dies if you haven't already. I'm using shims with mine and after you get used to them I don't think you save any time with a screw adjustment. The dies normally have a 3/16" shank, so if you have a lathe, you may be able to drill a 3/16" hole in the middle of a 1/4" bolt and use this as an adapter for the standard dies.

Thanks Dave. It shouldn't need an overhaul at this point but I'm glad to know they do them. I may send it off just because.
Terry. Great idea. I don't have a lathe, but now I'll keep the yoke just in case.
Looks like the simplest solution is ordering a yoke or two. As you pointed out, I'll need different sizes. Two bolts and I'm in business.
I have a few dies, but I'm learning more doesn't hurt. Set up the hand squeezer and hand squeezer differently so there's less "re-tooling"

If anyone finds threaded dies I want em! Even if they are flat/flush.

Change Ram?

If I understand your situation correctly - the ram has a threaded 1/4-28 thd instead of the more "standard" 3/16 counterbored hole? If yes, then why not just change the ram to the standardized unit? If you change the ram, get the adjustable type which eliminates the need for any shims - the manufactured ones are kind of expensive, but with a little diligence you can make your own for around $10.

YMMV

David Howe

My solution

If I understand your situation correctly - the ram has a threaded 1/4-28 thd instead of the more "standard" 3/16 counterbored hole? If yes, then why not just change the ram to the standardized unit? If you change the ram, get the adjustable type which eliminates the need for any shims - the manufactured ones are kind of expensive, but with a little diligence you can make your own for around $10.

YMMV

David Howe

That was my solution David. Rather than buy a $100 yoke I made my own out of stainless steel bolts a grinder and drill. I also made an adapter to receive the standard .187 shaft. No shimming needed. I actually like this setup now!
I will buy a deeper yoke later but this is getting the job done nicely.

2elh5ko.jpg

15g2t6a.jpg

Back