What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Checked Out

flyindoorman

Well Known Member
Flew with the CFI for my checkout in my 10 today and headed home with it in the morning. So far this plane is really impressive. Controls are light yet feel rock solid, little control inputs = great response, and landings have all been non issues, and I think I'm about comfortable with the castering nosewheel.

Slow flight very stable, and cruise better than Van's published numbers.

I have not figured out how to post pics yet but will do so this weekend in the meantime they are here.

http://www.rv10n710wh.shutterfly.com

Thanks to all of those who have answered my questions and given their opinions and feedback as I went thru this process of looking and buying my plane.

congrats

Have a good flight back to Texas tomorrow. We are flying down to Fredericksburg for lunch tomorrow.

Lunch

What time you guys going to be in Fredericksburg ?

Depending on my time getting out of KC I may stop by.

If not keep me in mind for future trips.

time

I assume you are in the air by now, but we are leaving about 10:15 this morning, a RV10 and a RV7a.

Randy,
Nice airplane! Just a word of caution-- I noticed in a number of pics in your album of the engine compartment that there a lot of tie wraps directly secured to the engine mount. Opinions vary as to whether this is an issue, but I highly suggest either replacing them with adel clamps or placing some type of chaffing material (plastic tape, etc) under new tie-wraps if you want to stick with them. Just saying...

Last edited:
how does the tie-wrap damage the mount? i thought it was only if you used a tie-wrap with the item directly touching the engine mount that was no d good. eg... scat tubing.

Grit gets under the wrap and allows the wrap to act like a cutting wire--eventually it can lead to the wrap sawing through the underlying structure.

Wire ties

Thanks for the heads up on the wire ties. I remember seeing another recently someone was doing there condition inspection and found an issue such as that. I will get them changed out before long.

Sorry I missed the Fburg lunch I passed over Granbury about 11:30 I will catch you guys soon.

Nylon Wire Ties on engine mount tubes

There was an article in last month's EAA Sport Aviation mag about using silicone rubber self-fusing tape around the tubes so that the nylon never contacts the steel.

I've used both the silicone tape and "Gorilla Tape" with great success to protect the motor mount from getting abraded by the wire ties.

I am with Todd on this. You really need to go through the entire FWF and secure everything properly. Fuel Lines, Oil lines and every thing else. The one that bothers me the most is IMG0077. Is that fuel secure? Nice plane by the way!

Last edited:
Clean up

I will go find last months magazine and read the article. I plan to clean them all up in next few weeks. Todd thanks for pointing out the fuel line I had noticed that as well. Also thanks for the compliment so far I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Man does this thing climb like crazy.

I will go find last months magazine and read the article. I plan to clean them all up in next few weeks. Todd thanks for pointing out the fuel line I had noticed that as well. Also thanks for the compliment so far I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Man does this thing climb like crazy.

Another option is heat shrink around the tie wrap.

Hey Randy,

I've been out for a few days and we just flew back to Houston last night. I'm the guy who stopped you on the ramp yesterday after you landed at T82.

Phil

Phil

Phil

Great to meet you. I would live to fly over and see your 10 when I get the chance. Hope you had a great flight back home.

Back