What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check your avionics warranty

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
I've been having some issues with the Trutrak T&B whereby it sometimes oscillates wildly, and the unit display (behind the glass) is showing some signs of scraping.

Called the company and found out that this unit only carries a 1 year warranty (unlike the 3 yr warranty for their other products). I should have paid closer attention to this, as it will cost me $95 plus shipping costs, since I did not report this problem from the get-go.

The tip I'm forwarding here is:
  • Order your avionics as late as possible. You may want to order trays, connectors, wiring harnesses etc so you can prepare for the install.
  • Check the warranty on each item.
  • Report a problem to the manufacturer as soon as you discover it.

Credit Card Purchase - Intrinsic Extended Warranty

I had bought the T&B from Steinair, and paid with a Visa credit card about 20 months ago. Trutrak offers a 1 year warranty on this product.

I have a Gold Elite VISA card, which entitles you to extended warranty privileges. This can add 1 year to your manufacturer's warrant (or so I thought).

I contacted Visa and faxed over all the requested information. The credit card insurance adjuster (Elite) promptly responded today with the following:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Your claim no.: TDG2-xxx
Item: Pictorial Turn & Bank Ind.
Date of loss: March 19, 2010

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

We are writing in regards to your claim under the TD VISA Extended Protection Plan.

According to the information provided the item purchased is a part for an aircraft. As stated in the insurance certificate, “Extended Protection: In addition to any exclusions which may be set out in the Manufacturer’s Warranty, this certificate does not cover: (ii) automobiles, motor boats, aircraft, motorcycles, motor scooters and other motorized vehicles and parts and accessories thereof;

Since the item is not an eligible product we are unable to offer any coverage for your reported defect.

If you have any questions, please contact me at 1-800-661-5257, during the hours of 7:30 am and 3:30 pm PST, Monday to Friday.

Sincerely,

ELITE INSURANCE COMPANY
----------------------------------------------------------------
If it weren't for the fine print ..... :-(

Doug, no extended warranty for your pink motor scooter either, or the parts you purchase for it.

Last edited:
Back