What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap US engines

SvingenB

Well Known Member
The US dollar is falling like a rock. I had some ideas about alternative engines, but only in the last half a year the value of a Mattituck IO320 has fallen the equivalent of 4500 US$ or 20%. The same is true for everything from the US, RVs included :) (too bad I purchased the kit when the dollar was 10-15% higher than today...)

According to analysts the US $ is supposed to fall an additional 20-30% within a relatively short time (1/2 to 1 year). This means that the cost of a Lycoming or clone has been literaly cut in half within the time span of a year or so.

Just wanted to mention it in case others from Europe are going to order kits or engines. Right now it is a good idea to watch the exchange rates, and probably wait some months. It's rather strange, but the Rotax 912S will become more expensive than a IO360 within a short time (in Europe) :)

I have been looking at it fall also.
Here in Australia, when I put my order in for the wings and fuse 1 AUD = 0.83 USD. When they got here 12 weeks later, 1 AUD = 0.93 USD.
By the time I need a finish kit and engine, I hope its still at a good rate.
Working on main wing spar now.

The US dollar is making it MUCH better for a bunch of us. Now the tough choice of going with Vans deal on the realy lyc experminental series 0-320, mattituck io320 or aerosport io320. My build by the time i am done will be $20k cheaper than 4 years ago just in exchange. I like it!

This is interesting dilemma. How long should you wait? Or should you just finish your plane. So currently it seems that longer you wait, the cheaper it gets. In case of electronics and if it's coming from USA situation is even more complex: by waiting you get it cheaper and you get more features on same "US price". Engines and RVs will be about the same in few years.

So my advice: just wait as long as it won't delay your project. Otherwise I don't see it's worth it. It already takes a long time to build and I would rather fly sooner than get it few bucks cheaper.

PS. And if you really want to get all: fly and get cheap plane -- just finish your plane quickly and start the "cheap" project after it. :D

order stuff as you need it

On occassion going over folks build sites and seeing lists of items for sale i always was amazed at how many folks had big $ stuff sitting around. Lots of folks seem to order the engine with the plane kit, or order the whole kit including fwf and finish at the same time. I have come across folks who have the panel DONE, before they work on fiberglass. To each his own, but it seems logical to me that (never mind the dollar falling) having a crate with a $25K engine and MT prop sitting on a skid for 3 years, or a few GR glass panels sitting in boxes for a few years just doesnt make $$ sense even if you have boatloads of $$. Only my opinion of course and I have only been wrong on a few thousand things...but this time its working out pretty good. The FI engines and the incredible glass coming along and the fancy led lights...just love this stuff. BUT, I just keeping working and cant wait to see what i can actually afford when the time comes i am close to actually installing it. Thinking full synthetic view, real time weather and traffic with full autopilot...maybe i can watch dvd's in the front seat with surround sound while my plane shoots its own ils's. OK, back to the canopy.

Falling $

And the Conjugate:
The longer I wait, the more expensive it gets!
Do I hear inflation?

And the Conjugate:
The longer I wait, the more expensive it gets! Do I hear inflation?

So let's see, if we assume that building takes five years so like we started the project 5 years ago and finished it now or we start the project now.

RV-7 QB price about 5 years ago was $23865 while it's currently $27300 i.e. it has gone up $3435 (14 % more). At Nov 2002 the conversion rate was 1.0095 while it now is U$ 1.47 = 1 EUR. So I would end up paying 23640 euros while today I would pay 18571 euros where difference is 5069 euros (21 % less).

During five years, salaries has gone up so I believe that during five years RV has become significantly cheaper for non-US people... or you can get better equipped RV and pay "same". :D

Current rates from www.bof.fi and Van's prices from webarchive snapshot from November.

Back