What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap Tools!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, let me say up front that I believe that everyone who calls themselves a mechanic or builder should have good tools. It is a wonderful feeling to turn a screw with a perfectly fitting Phillips head driver, or tighten a bolt with a smooth-handled, close=tolerance wrench. And the feel of an expensive torque wrench clicking precisely is confidence inspiring. So yes, everyone needs a set of good tools ? the best they can afford.

That said?..there is also something to be said for CHEAP tools!

Today I was cruising through Home Depot to pick up some spray foam goop, and there was a stack of Ryobi Drill Drivers for $25 ? case included. Now I have a fine drill driver from a well-established company that has served me well for many years ? it is my ?good? tool. But it generally lives at home, as I find that I have more use for it doing household stuff than I do on the RV. (I am a bit weird that way ? I prefer to install and remove screws on the RV by hand ? I guess I stripped to many fasteners on my old beat up Grumman over the years?) But occasionally, I want a drill drive at the airport to remove inspection covers ? and then I have to remember to bring it from home, or drive home and back to get it. $25 to have one for very occasional use at the airport? What a deal! (use quality bits in that cheap driver by the way?.)

Or take wrenches. You can pretty much assemble 90% of all fasteners on an RV with a pair of 3/8? and a pair of 7/16? wrenches. But how often do you have to go looking for them when you?re mocking things up, putting things together or taking them apart for all those times before final assembly? Well, how about stopping by the Fly Market at Oshkosh and buying a handful of each size ? say a half dozen of each? Now spread them around the shop. Pay two bucks a piece for them. Use them for temporary hardware. Save the good ones when you put in your permanent nuts and bolts.

And what about when you need to modify a wrench? Sometimes, the handle needs a kink, or given the tight nature of aircraft assembly, you need to grind something off here or there to make it fit ? having a $2 wrench to grind away on sure beats taking a Snap-On to the wheel!

Cleco pliers are another thing ? buy a bunch of them! Again, the Fly Market at your friendly neighborhood giant fly-in is a good place to buy some. Keep a couple in the cockpit, and more on each side of the airplane and/or wings. You will save a huge amount of time in your build if you don?t have to go hunting for your one pair.

And don?t be afraid to buy some inexpensive air tools. Cheap drills might very well damage the project, but aside from those, other tools really can?t do much harm. I bought a couple of die grinders, pneumatic cut-off wheels, and angle grinders at Home Depot when I started my build. I?ve been using them ever since. They might quit on me, but they probably won?t ruin any airplane parts in any way that they can fail. (Of course, a great way to make them last forever is to tell yourself that as soon as they die, you?ll get to buy that ?good one? that you really want. You?ll be passing that (working) cheap tool on to your grandchildren?. )

Once again, I?m not advocating building your RV with the latest tool set from K-Mart?.but occasionally, a cheap tool that you don?t mind throwing away is just what you need!

Anybody else got any cheap tool ideas?

Paul

good ideas

Paul,

Sounds like good advice. I haven't been in a while, but I used to go to the surplus places for aerospace companies. I work for Boeing and when I was in Seattle I would go to Boeing surplus and find good things that are actually of decent quality, just used.

Sure,

I love my Craftsman ratcheting wrenches, but I also have a set made by Gear-Wrench that don't have the shallow angle on them - they are straight. Sometimes these work great for getting into tight spaces. They were less than half the cost of my Craftsman set and they don't have the switch on them to change directions (you flip the wrench over), but occasionally they have come in very handy on my car projects in the past.

So now I'll wait patiently for someone to tell me that Craftsman tools are cheap tools also. :rolleyes:

Stubbies...

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, I find them better than Home Depot. Our local HD just re-modelled and reduced their tool department...:(

As Paul mentioned, tools to get into small, tight locations are useful. I like this set - and the short length helps in not over-torquing that AN hardware...:)... and at $5 for the set, cheap enough to grind down if needed.

Stubby stuff...

94049.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94049

gil A - with rumors of a new HF to be built at my end of town....

Harbor Freight Coupons

Sign up for Harbor Freight Coupons and you will drool every 3-4 days when the email arrives with coupons for stuff.

http://ww3.harborfreight.com/cpiweb/emailopt/presentOptions.do

Unbelievable what they give some of this stuff away for, yesterday I got a coupon for teflon tape at 10 cents a roll.

I signed up for the inside track membership: Cost $20 a year savings are decent, but not better than the coupons and only good for online purchases. If you have a HF nearby skip the inside track club and just wait for a coupon to roll along.

(admitedly related to topic only inasmuch as the need...) My neighbor runs his own shop (big Diesel mech)... tens of thousands of dollars in tools, right? Yeah, he's always over borrowing the most basic of tools because all his are "at the shop." Too funny. I mean, go to Sears and buy a $50 tool kit man! :rolleyes:

Leatherman Tool

My flying buddy, and former B/A Concorde SST technician John Hess, carries a Leatherman "Wave" on his belt at all times. Noticing the nose tire on my C150 was low on air we taxied up to the air hose. Of course the wheel pant AND a hub cap where covering valve stem so John told me to "push down on the tail" and out came the Leatherman. Within five minutes he had the wheel off the plane, serviced the tire and we were ready to go (hub caps were given the heave-ho). IMHO a MUST for all flyers.
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/default.asp

Slightly off-subject, but I bought the 2-gallon kit of AKZO at Grayco Supply in Ft. Worth last week for $80, versus $130-ish I've seen quoted elsewhere.

I like cheap wrenches for the times you need make your own custom tool. Like shaved down thin and compact or with that special 90 degree bend in it. That being said however, I learned my lesson with cheap drill bits. Always buy good drill bits.

Boeing surplus

Paul,

Sounds like good advice. I haven't been in a while, but I used to go to the surplus places for aerospace companies. I work for Boeing and when I was in Seattle I would go to Boeing surplus and find good things that are actually of decent quality, just used.

Unfortunately for us here in the great NW, Boeing closed its surplus store in Kent, WA on 21 December. :(

My flying buddy, and former B/A Concorde SST technician John Hess, carries a Leatherman "Wave" on his belt at all times. Noticing the nose tire on my C150 was low on air we taxied up to the air hose. Of course the wheel pant AND a hub cap where covering valve stem so John told me to "push down on the tail" and out came the Leatherman. Within five minutes he had the wheel off the plane, serviced the tire and we were ready to go (hub caps were given the heave-ho). IMHO a MUST for all flyers.
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/default.asp

When I worked at Lockheed some guys had those and they were banned as they were real good a rounding off bolt heads...

Friends and family plan

I have many of my tools from friends or family. On my recent road trip to Airzona/California, my Dad gave me a mini bench lathe. He had purchased it form Harbor Freight a few years ago for his RC stuff, but never used it. He figured the RV project would be a better place. Cheap tool...for sure, but free from my Dad is priceless.
RV7231.jpg

A lot of good suggestions here. I will add mine. I buy used tools at the local pawnshops. With some luck you will find Craftsmen, Snap-on and other good tools. For a few dollars I walk away with a handful of wrenches and sockets. Finding socket extension seems to be much harder. I try to keep a supply of used tools to make those special tools that I may need.

Just this past week I helped pull the #5 cylinder on a Bonanza and wound up making some tools for that job. First time working on a Bonanza and I found that the lower cowling interferred some with the cylinder removal. You work thru a removable access panel on the lower cowl. My Cessna configured tools did not work too well. I made tools to remove and torque the lower cyl. base nuts. A right angle wrench to hold the lower thru bolt nut opposite the cyl. I was working on to keep it from rotating. I am now fabricating a tool to make Continental pushrod housing removal and installation a bit easier.

A lot of good tools for just a few dollars. (and some time)

JF

Back