What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap Endoscope - Bearing Bracket Pic

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
John, can you provide more info on the endoscope you used-- I'm seeing them from $4000.00 to less than $20.00 (plugs into a laptop). If pic quality is this good it would also do tail rib crack inspection. Assume you're talking about inspection holes in the belly?

THANKS Wayne 120241
PS-- Inspected wing rivets and they're fine, so just logged that and added that as a Condition inspection item

Hmmmm. Wondering if this scope with its 8.5 mm head is any smaller than the Harbor Freight model I have. Going to measure it today. Thanks for the link on this John. I wasn't aware you could get these so cheap and plug them straight into a PC.

You might want to read the reviews on Amazon that seem to deny the 8.5mm size that is advertised. Just saying.

HS Also

Did the HS rib inspections also with it. I used a heavy piece of mechanics wire and electrical taped the borescope to the wire. You can then bend it as needed to get the shots you want. Takes patience and the instructions on using the software leave a bunch to be desired, but once you figure that out it works well. I sent the pictures from the laptop to the PC, then have an even bigger screen to work with. You can change the brightness of the LED's to get the best picture. You have to steady the camera or you will not get good pictures. Play with it for a while and you can make it do what you need. A cheap tool that really works well for special projects like these.

My cheap borescope - -

Maybe this will help. It is slightly more than 12/32" diameter. Cable I think is 10' long. USB connection to Laptop.

John, can you provide more info on the endoscope you used-- I'm seeing them from $4000.00 to less than $20.00 (plugs into a laptop). If pic quality is this good it would also do tail rib crack inspection. Assume you're talking about inspection holes in the belly?

THANKS Wayne 120241
PS-- Inspected wing rivets and they're fine, so just logged that and added that as a Condition inspection item

What / where is the original pic referenced in the original post?

check out ebay

Ebay
5mm with long cord and mirror attachment Hong Kong about 10 days
varying prices as low as $10 free ship 5mm with lights and intensity control

If you do a little research you might find a set of mirrors that will fit the less expensive USB cameras. Bore Scopes generally have these mirrors so you can see the valves and seats from the spark plug hole. Not a bad thing to have around. I bought a Milwaukee unit some time back which looked like what I needed but the tube is short and fairly rigid and I've not been able to find any mirrors for it so it's useless in cylinders.

Did you ever get this 'scope? Looks like one I would want too! Just hanging in for your feedback.
Thanks

I did. I haven't used it for any mechanical inspections yet but here are a few quick observations:

1. The unit is reasonably well made and is about 5.5.mm diameter, as advertised. It is cylindrical with no protruding wires or burrs from the side. I have not tested the "waterproof" claim.

2. The software it comes with is cheap but effective. It allows you to take stills or video. I would definitely advise running a good malware checker on it before and after installing. I had no problems, but considering the origin of the software, safer is better than sorry.

3. Also, keep in mind that this is an inexpensive USB device sourced from China. Look up the implications of that if you don't know what I am talking about, then decide if it is worth connecting to your computer.

4. The picture is okay, nothing to write home about, but adequate. The focal length appears to be relatively short, with a long depth of field, so no worries there.

5. The built in LED lamps are decent, BUT not as bright as I would like in some ways, while too bright when you get too close. They are adjustable with a finger dial. I have yet to explore what image enhancing options the software may provide. Picture quality is probably adequate, but NOT as good as some other borescope pics linked here.

6. You may think it'd be cool to use this to see what's inside your ear. Trust me, you really don't want to see that. Really.

Macbook advice

I ordered this and for the mac it is plug and play using Photo Booth....the little cd that comes with it won't work on a mac, but if you open photo booth (built in app - check your launch pad or app folder) and select the endescope camera in the top menu....seems to work pretty well.

Back