What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Charleston

8CW

Well Known Member
My MUCH better half and I are going to Charleston this weekend for our 10th anniversary. Can anyone recommend any must see or do places to go?

Hank's Seafood. My better half and I had a memorable dinner there last year. http://hanksseafoodrestaurant.com/
We stayed at the Doubletree right across the street from Hank's. Very nice hotel and great location. We took a taxi in from the airport since we had heard that parking could be a problem in the area. That worked out great. We had no need for a car.
Our visit was too short (only one night) and we are looking forward to going back and spending a couple of days.

Bill stay at the King George IV inn and have dinner at Fulton 5
You'll thank me. Do not stay anywhere other than a B&B

Let your wife shop, you'll follow in trail admiring her choices, this is not about you.

Stripes
TeamRV
A frequent in Charleston
Married for 23 years

Charleston my second home

Hymans Seafood on Meeting Street! 225 for Steaks! Southend Brewery on Bay for micro brewery and excellent food and people watching! Walk the waterfront, visit the "Market" which runs from Bay to Meeting starting at the Charleston Candy Shop (not to be missed).

Walk the back streets and see the old churchs and cemetary's that are built around them with names dating back 400yrs!!

Go to the Pineapple fountain near the pier, see the CSS Hunley Museum on the waterfront (the first submarine to sink a ship - IN Charleston Harbor and found by Author Clive Cussler!)

Go across the Cooper River Bridge to Mount Pleasant to that big grey boat across the water - Aircraft Carrier - WW2 Submarine and more.

If you have time go to the Magnolia Gardens Plantation which is 15 mins away from downtown Charleston on the West side of the Ashley River and is THE most photgraphed gardens in the world!! It can't be described!

Thats just a couple days in town! If you are traveling let me know theres a lot more! Have fun Ya'll!!

Charleston is a walking town.

Stay in a B&B in the historic district, eat locally, shop locally, etc. You don't need a car.

The B&B's have a good feel for the restaurants that are currently good. One your friend went to a couple of years ago may be totally different today.

I especially recommend taking a guided walking tour of the city - several leave from the Meeting Street Inn.

ANNIVERSARY!!

I missed that part! Congrats!

Definitely the Plantation and walk on the bridge that's all I'm gonna say.:cool:

The CFO/navigator/better half and I enjoyed the Charleston museum when we were there in May.

It is claimed to be the first museum in America.

http://www.charlestonmuseum.org/home

Lots of links there to my home town of Liverpool....:)

Also another vote for Hymans Seafood restaurant

Mills House

If you are a fan of fine dining at it's best, make a reservation at the Mills House. The she-crab soup is an experience not to be missed. Quite often, it is available on their Sunday brunch. Dinner is more involved than the Sunday brunch - coat & tie, etc. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

There is a thread on the city under Places to go... SC

We went there in our RV-6A in 2007. I disagree about it being a walking town from a tourist perspective there are a lot of miles to cover. I copied my post from that trip here but there is quite a bit more there from others.

"I was really surprised that this wonderful tourist oriented city hasn't been mentioned before. We flew our RV-6A there last month (April, 2007). Good restaurants, beauty and history are everywhere. Fort Sumter in the entrance to the harbor I where the first shot was fired to begin the United States Civil War and it is managed by the National Park Service. Several fine homes that have been restored for touring are hundreds of years old and each has a story to tell about some family and their successes and failures. The Aircraft Carrier Yorktown is availble for touring at patriot's point with many aircraft on board and movies about the carrier are shown in several locations. One special restaurant is Hyman's Seafood. They do not accept reservations but you go to the restaurant put you name on the list and stand outside on the sidewalk until called - it is worth the wait. On the tables they have brass plates containing the names of famous people that dined at the specific tables. Jody Foster and Linsey Wagnor (sorry if the names are spelled wrong) had used our little two place table in the past. In the surrounding area there are plantations like "Magnolia" that can be toured. There is also a bridge going from the downtown area to patriot's point that is a masterpiece - it was opened in 2005. We landed at the Executive airport south of town and they have Enterprize Rental cars with a rep in the FBO."

Bob Axsom

We always enjoy The Wreck seafood restaurant on Shem Creek. Half the adventure is finding the place. Great food!

I highly recommend a horse/carriage tour. They are great and you will learn a lot about Charleston from the tour guide.

(They didn't sell slaves at the slave market. It's where slaves sold their goods.)

The wife and I enjoyed Jestine's Kitchen when we were there.

The horse carriage ride was really great as well.

We also visited the aircraft carrier and the sub as well as took the tour to Ft Sumter.

My wife is a huges North and South fan so we went to the Boone Hall Plantation.

A few more suggestions

We were there this last weekend. Would recommend King's Court Inn, where we stayed. Definitely stay in the downtown historic area. We parked our car when we arrived on Thursday afternoon and didn't use it again until we left on Sunday morning.

Some restaurants that I would highly recommend are Hominy Grill, Circa 1886, and High Cotton.

Enjoy your visit.

I especially recommend taking a guided walking tour of the city.

I second this suggestion. Was quite a few years back, but we got into town in the afternoon and did a walking tour the next morning. Helped set the historic context for the whole stay.
Well worth the time and money.

Thanks for all the replies! We're driving in and staying at 2 Meeting Street Inn for 3 nights so we'll try to get in four or five of the suggested restaurants between lunch and dinner if we can. I want to see the Hunley, and we will probably go to one of the plantations. Other than that, we'll play it by ear. I think Stripes mentioned I need to go along with the spousal shopping thing... It'll be tough. I know I need to submit, but I might need oxygen.

Last edited:
Hey Bill, Just spent a week there this summer. It is on the very top of my favorites list!

I being a history nut can second what others have recommended:

The Yorktown
All the Forts
All the churches
The Old Exchange, Have to see the dungeon where the pirates were kept.
Restaurants, just to name a few, all very good;
*Magnolia's, Favorite
*82 Queen, Favorite
Husk
Library Restaurant
High Cotton
Did I also mention all very expensive!

I really like wondering the back streets in the Battery Park area and along the water front. Just can't say enough about the place and I didn't see everything in a week!

Thanks for all the replies! We're driving in and staying at 2 Meeting Street Inn for 3 nights so we'll try to get in four or five of the suggested restaurants between lunch and dinner if we can.

2 Meeting Street is very nice. One thing you probably know is that they serve their guests hors d'oeuvres, wine, and beer on the veranda in the late afternoon. You can meet some interesting people there, and afterwards, the inn will be glad to call a pedi-cab to take you to any of the restaurants in the old part of town. The concierge at the Inn can also help with dinner reservations.

Back