What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Charging system failure that doesn't happen on the ground

Dugaru

Well Known Member
Okay, so my lastest adventure appears to be an intermittent failure of my charging system. I have a PP alternator, externally regulated with a PP voltage regulator. All indications are normal at startup. After takeoff, everything runs normally for a while, and then I get a low voltage warning on the EIS 4000, along with a popped breaker for my electronic ignition (a Lightspeed). At this point the charging system appears to have failed completely, and I seem to be running on battery power and magneto alone.

I've downloaded the Plane Power troubleshooting flow chart and will be jumping on that, multimeter in hand, tomorrow. But I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas about how the electronic ignition system might or might not play into this scenario. Prior to this adventure, I wouldn't have expected a "normal" failure of the charging system to have caused the EI breaker to pop; I would have thought that the EI would continue to run on battery power like everything else, at least until the battery was exhausted. But I'm not the builder, and I confess I'm no expert on the relevant failure modes here.

Back