What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Charging Issues on 4yr/200 hr old RV-6

N925JL

Patron
I have an RV-6 that has been flying for about 4 years (about 200 hrs). It is equipped with a Mark Landoll alternator using a motorola M5-150A external voltage regulator (purchased from Van's) and is equipped with OVM 14 overvoltage protection unit (purchased from AeroElectric). It has worked beautifully for most of that time. In the past couple of months, it has tripped the field breaker a few minutes after startup, but when the breaker was reset things proceeded normally for the remainder of my flight (an hour or so). Yesterday, it started tripping the field breaker, and would not stay reset after it was reset.

I disconnected the OVM 14 (kept avionics master off) to diagnose. Breaker no longer kicks off, but notice that voltage on the buss will be 13.8 volts most of the time, but for a few seconds will get to the 18 volt range and then return to 13.8 volt range.

The bird has a gel cell battery that is about 5 years old, and is kept plugged into a "battery minder" trickle charger most of the time it is in the hanger.

Anybody have any ideas as to the likely failure point(s) (alternator, regulator, battery or some combination). I seem unable to find a direct replacement voltage regulator as Van's no longer seems to carry it.

Jerry Ludwig
SN 22439
N925JL

It sure sounds to me like you are having a voltage reg problem, and the OVM is doing it's job Jerry! I'd try a new external regulator (there is an automotive unit that you can probably find with an archive search) first - bet it solves the problem.

Paul

In addition........

I would also replace the battery. 5 years is plenty.
Maybe replace the battery first, see what happens, then step 2, and 3, etc.

M5-150A Regulator

I experienced fluctuating voltage about a year ago but did not blow a circuit breaker. I thought the M5-150A voltage regulator most likely was the problem and I also found Vans no longer stocked that regulator. This forum put me onto a Ford regulator many RV builders used from a 1970 to 1980 Ford Cars...not really sure but I thought a 1978 full size Ford. But I had fabricated a mount to the M5-150A which I found is still used widely on industrial engine applications. I took my old unit to a local automotive electric company, looked it up in their books and had one within 24 hours for a cost of $21 including delivery charges. Bolted right in and it produced a good stable 14 volts and is running well today.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
300 Hours
Northfield, MN

Back