What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changing tires and tubes

I know it's not rocket science, but there ARE tricks to just about any trade...and I'm all ears! Many folks use baby powder to lube the new tubes when changing them out. I read (somewhere) that the stuff in baby powder that makes it SMELL good is granular, and actually acts as an abrasive...albeit a mild one. Non-scented talc of some sort was recommended. If so, what kind and where do you get the stuff? Secondly, I've heard that some put a thin coating of lubricant (like Aeroshell 5) on the wheels to help the beads set correctly. Comments?

Just add this...

I know it's not rocket science, but there ARE tricks to just about any trade...and I'm all ears! Many folks use baby powder to lube the new tubes when changing them out. I read (somewhere) that the stuff in baby powder that makes it SMELL good is granular, and actually acts as an abrasive...albeit a mild one. Non-scented talc of some sort was recommended. If so, what kind and where do you get the stuff? Secondly, I've heard that some put a thin coating of lubricant (like Aeroshell 5) on the wheels to help the beads set correctly. Comments?

...to your next Aircraft Spruce order...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/tiretalc.php

...and this Michelin guide might help --

http://www.bomar.biz/download.php?view.220

Tire talc

Tire talc, Aircraft Spruce P/N 17-250

As to "lube" never use anything that is going to stay slippery like grease or silicone. The worst case is that when you get on the brakes, the tire slips on the wheel and shears the valve stem off. Not good. Soapy water is the answer if you need a little help, but with split wheels, I have never bothered.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Tire Talc....

also available at your NAPA store in a shaker can. Most have it, and if not, they can get it overnight. Faster than spruce if you need it quick!!

Regards,
Chris

When working with a new tube add just a breath of air to it. It makes it easier to get it inside the tire and it takes it's place eaiser. I've never used powder, might have to get some.

Gil, John, Chris, and Larry:

THANKS for taking the time to respond. Your input is very helpful (and I downloaded the Michelin manual...LOTS of fun info).

I am only on my second set of tires, but I ordered them from Desser and they sent along enough tire talc to do the job.

.....is the warning against using baby powder valid?
:eek:

The baby power warning was heard here by me for the first time. My RV-6 will be flying 12-years in September. I have over 2,225 hours on the hobbs. I have used baby powder on the tubes inside the tires since day one. Never had to repair a tube yet.

Last edited:
Baby powder is just fine to use.

I had a longggggggg discussion with the Michelin service department a few months ago. They actually just put out another service bulletin due to our conversation.

MAKE SURE the tires and the innertubes match.!!!! DRESSER has sent the wrong tubes for the tires.!!!!:mad:

Place powder in the tire and rotate till the inside of the tire is covered.

Place Innertube in the tire.

Place a smig of air in the innertube.

Rotate the innertube a min of 360*. This takes out the folds in the tube.

Line up the valve stem with the tire dot.

Put a little more air in the tire so it doesn't rotate.

Put hub halves together.

From experienced A&P/IA. Im director of maintenance for patrol company and we change a lot of tires. 22 airplanes worth. Our airplanes fly about 25 hrs per week. We use baby powder and never had a problem with a tube due to the powder. You can buy it at wal-mart and not pay for shipping, wait a week for it to arrive or pay higher price for it. It works well to help beading if you put some in your hand and rub it on the wheel too. One bottle should last you a lifetime.

I heard somewhere that it is not wise to use the cornstarch-based baby powder. It's so easy to get talc that I've never used the other and can't say I have experience. I've also discovered Larry's advice to be true; just enough air that the tubes want to stay unfolded but not so much you can't easily push them into the tire. Once in, you can add another breath to center up the tube and make it less likely to pinch in the wheel.

Back